Springs, Struts, Swaybars, Bushings, Tower Braces & more
By hatchie
#101679 ok got a question i had coilovers on my hatch when i first bought it and the car bounced when it went over bumps.....i got rid of them anyway due to them being crappy... on speed they had a show about progressive springs and how the car wont really bounce that much with them on.............. so i got them instead of buying coil overs again

question is that i want to get coilovers cuz they adjust but i dont want my car looking like im hitting a hydralic button every 5 seconds and not only that it gets annoying

is it cuz of the coilovers (ebay brand prolly) i had or do coilovers just do that?
Last edited by hatchie on Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
By zeppelin101
#101680 Depends, if they adjust height on the spring perch you might find them more bouncy as you wind them down because you're reducing the shock stroke. If you hit a big bump you'll bounce because more than likely the shock is bottomed out.

Beware of coilovers with ridiculous spring rates as well. Even well known brands like D2 are guilty of putting stupid springs rates on their coilovers. 13kg/mm up front? wtf? no.

My mates MR2 on superstreets is a bit bouncy on rough roads but they are wound right down. However if he had mono flex coilovers which adjust by moving the lower mount and not compressing the spring, then he would probably be better off despite the slightly higher spring rates.

It depends entirely on the make. The ebay ones are generally appalling and claim to run stupidly high spring rates but in reality they seem to be very soft and will bottom out a lot = very bouncy.

If you want decent coilovers you'll have to pay a good sum of money for them, thats how it works with suspension stuff unfortunately.
By hatchie
#101693 ok so they wont bounce if you technically put the money into them! ok yeah like i said

the ones that we're on th car didnt even have a brand name so yeah they sucked bad

right now i got skunk2 progressive springs and i got hardly any bounce but i have a set ride height of 2 inch drop
By Greasedmonkey
#101762 You will get a good ride with Koni Yellows and Ground Control coil overs. Get the standard of the shelf parts for civics. You can also get the top hats just to gain the lost shock travel of lowering the car alot.

Your other option would be a set up like, Ksport, D2, Form and Function, PIC and the likes. Either way just stick with the OTS rates that come with the kit for civics.
By suspendedHatch
#101954 Bouncing is caused by two things. 1) lack of travel, 2) poorly matched spring rates and strut damping.

If you are going to slam your car, there is virtually nothing you can do to avoid bouncing.

If you are lowering your car purely for performance, you will limit the drop to 1.5 to 1.75 inches and take greasedmonkey's excellent advice.

Below 1.75 the Civic's suspension geometry begins to work against you.

"Progressive" springs are relatively soft for mild bumps but when pushed hard in a corner they act very stiff. They are great for street cars and not so great for road racing.
By zeppelin101
suspendedHatch wrote:If you are going to slam your car, there is virtually nothing you can do to avoid bouncing.

I'd be inclined to disagree and say that if you have adjustable lower mounts you're not affecting the stroke of the damper piston at all so the shock travel remains the same, you're just shortening the length of the unit.

You'll still get bump steer if you go too low though which is worse than bounce and kills a car tbh
By Greasedmonkey
#101973 Shock travel or not, when you are slammed, you will need stiffere springs. That right there will cause some bounce as well. If you go that low with out stiff springs you will bottom out and rub and scrape.
By zeppelin101
Greasedmonkey wrote:Shock travel or not, when you are slammed, you will need stiffere springs. That right there will cause some bounce as well. If you go that low with out stiff springs you will bottom out and rub and scrape.

Unless you buy ebay gash almost any coilover with adjustable pre-load and independent height is going to have reasonably high spring rates out of principal since the ones which actually cost a reasonable amount of money are gonna be orientated more at the weekend racer.

As an example:

D2s - 12.1 / 6.2kg/mm (although I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole)

Which is excessive but if you want to be slammed to the deck they'll do.
By suspendedHatch
#102056 No, if you're slamming the car, that is, dropping it significantly more than 2 inches, then there's just no getting around it. You bounce either from lack of travel, from bottoming out (on the ground, in potholes, upper arms to the shock towers, or wheels in the fender), or from spring rates that are ridiculous for the street.

The best way to lower the car is with the aftermarket knuckles that relocate the knuckle downward. This doesn't effect suspension geometry, but it's not w/out side effects. Aftermarket knuckles are expensive and impossible to find.

You can lower the car reasonably and have few problems other than reduced but acceptable ride quality. It looks good, it handles good, it improves aerodynamics.

Slammed cars just look stupid as fuck.
By hatchie
#206516 Image

didnt want to start a new thread

deciding btw ff2 or koni/gc combo

inputs: