Springs, Struts, Swaybars, Bushings, Tower Braces & more
By rusty_eg3
#359504 Hey everyone! The bolt which holds the camber arm to the trailing arm was cut (not by me). I've attached the picture showing the issue. Is it safe to use a normal bolt with a nyloc nut? I guess it wouldn't hurt since that spot does not "hold" the weight of the vehicle but I'd like to hear more oppinions. Thanks.
Attachments
TA.jpg
It still has strength though, it can't be bent by hand and I'm pretty sure it's hard to bend even with tools.
By Driv-it-hard
#359506 Rusty, You have to use caution, being that bolt does not hold any weight from the car. The bolt does receive the pressure of the car while in a turn and also in a braking or accelerating situation. Short meaning, change the trailing arm.
Don't risk it.
My thoughts. Please everyone, chime in and let me know if I'm on the right path.
By iLLson
#359507 proper way is to change.

but if you must,..

get a high strength bolt (grade 8? same diameter as the hole), tack in in place to prevent movement, lock washer and nylon nut
By TrailerTrash
#359508 personally i wouldnt have a problem with replacing it with a regular bolt. get the right bolt as said above and get the right nut. then weld the nut in place of the factory nut.
By HeikDiesel
#359509 10.9 Grade hardware will be just fine. Wouldn't sweat it one bit

Factory bolt is a M10x1.25x68mm long

I would use a M10X1.25x70 bolt with either a standard or a locking flange nut. If you wish to weld it back do not use a nylock nut. You will melt it when you weld it
By rusty_eg3
#359510 Thanks guys! I was thinking the same thing, to weld the nut in place. That would mean using a regular nut and some thread locking compound, right?. And don't worry, my car is rarely driven fast, I think I'll be safe. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge! :D
By HeikDiesel
#359511 Pretty sure the factory nut isn't a lock nut so if it was me personally I would grind all the old BS off install a flange bolt and a flange nut. Tighten it so everything is lined up. Tack weld it. Remove the bolt and then fully weld the nut. I wouldn't use loctite personally, usually those are a bitch enough to get out anyway without thread locker on them, hence your factory nut being broken off.