Springs, Struts, Swaybars, Bushings, Tower Braces & more
By Loaf31
#358656 So, I read on here that the gold struts ("short" struts) are really good for the money. Anyone on here used the silver ones? They're just regular oem length. Any opinions? thanks in advance! :thumb:
By EconoBox
#358670 I have never used these. I looked at the reviews though and people seem to like them. I have used Koni Yellows, Tokico blues, TruHart shocks, and Skunk2 shocks in the past. I used Ground Control Sleeves on all of them.

As far as longevity the Tokico blues suck on lowered cars. The body and shock are stock length so they don't like being driven low (even with bump stops) I got about 1 year out of them before blowing. That only happened because they were stock length, that said I clearly recommend "short shocks" for your ride height.

Truhart, Skunk2 and Lotek look like they are all "Short shocks" which will help prevent that problem. You can also add those ground control top hats to help keep the shock extended even at lower ride height. I had the Skunk2 shocks on an old EF sedan and they felt great. The TruHarts are on my buddies EK and they seem to be doing just fine as well.

I won't get into how awesome the Koni Yellows are because they cost as much as entry level coilovers :thumb: All on say here is if you buy Koni Yellows, Ground Control tops, and Ground Control coil sleeves you might never change to true coilovers.

If you have any suspension questions feel free to PM me.
By Loaf31
EconoBox wrote:I have never used these. I looked at the reviews though and people seem to like them. I have used Koni Yellows, Tokico blues, TruHart shocks, and Skunk2 shocks in the past. I used Ground Control Sleeves on all of them.

As far as longevity the Tokico blues suck on lowered cars. The body and shock are stock length so they don't like being driven low (even with bump stops) I got about 1 year out of them before blowing. That only happened because they were stock length, that said I clearly recommend "short shocks" for your ride height.

Truhart, Skunk2 and Lotek look like they are all "Short shocks" which will help prevent that problem. You can also add those ground control top hats to help keep the shock extended even at lower ride height. I had the Skunk2 shocks on an old EF sedan and they felt great. The TruHarts are on my buddies EK and they seem to be doing just fine as well.

I won't get into how awesome the Koni Yellows are because they cost as much as entry level coilovers :thumb: All on say here is if you buy Koni Yellows, Ground Control tops, and Ground Control coil sleeves you might never change to true coilovers.

If you have any suspension questions feel free to PM me.

Thanks man I appreciate the info!
I ordered all 4 silver struts and some extended top hats for the fronts.
Struts came in yesterday, put in the rears.
Fronts have to wait until the top hats come in.
Rears feel great! Way stiffer, seem to go well with the coil sleeves. Not bad for $120!
Top hats should be in by Monday! definitely need that extra strut travel due to the front upper arms slapping the body.
By EconoBox
#358694 This is how to fix the upper A-Arm from slapping the front strut tower.
http://downstarinc.com/Shop/odb-welding-werks-shock-tower-extensions.html
Requires a bit of welding. On my hatch I just cut nice clean squares out of the strut towers so I didn't have to hear the A-Arm hit them anymore. I planned on putting these on but never got around to it.

Let us know how the setup works out once you have everything in!
By TrailerTrash
#358704 those caps are pretty sweet. i coulda used those a few years ago i had to make my own :x but it was kinda fun. mine might be a little bit more than an inch deep but my control arms still smack them

where did you buy these struts? im just curious
By Loaf31
EconoBox wrote:This is how to fix the upper A-Arm from slapping the front strut tower.
http://downstarinc.com/Shop/odb-welding-werks-shock-tower-extensions.html
Requires a bit of welding. On my hatch I just cut nice clean squares out of the strut towers so I didn't have to hear the A-Arm hit them anymore. I planned on putting these on but never got around to it.

Let us know how the setup works out once you have everything in!

Damn those look perfect! might have to get those.

TrailerTrash wrote:those caps are pretty sweet. i coulda used those a few years ago i had to make my own :x but it was kinda fun. mine might be a little bit more than an inch deep but my control arms still smack them

where did you buy these struts? im just curious

I got them on eBay :lol: :D
$120 for all 4 in silver (stock size). The gold ones (2" shorter) are $160 I believe.
By Loaf31
#358711 Today, I finally got around to putting the fronts in.
Don't have any pictures of the installation, but I have these.

Lotek Struts

eBay extended top hats.

In the short test drive that I took, I can definitely feel a difference. Everything feels way stiffer, more under control.
definitely worth the $120! Upper arms are still slapping the body, so I will probably order those caps and have someone weld them in.
By Loaf31
#358715 After about 100 miles of riding on these, I can tell you that they go very well with the sleeves. this is a good combo for not much bucks. :thumb: