Springs, Struts, Swaybars, Bushings, Tower Braces & more
By str888
#351415 I have a 95 hatch with 321k miles that's a daily driven commuter car on stock suspension. Front has the stock 3 to 4 finger wheel to fender gap and the rear has no gap and is starting to tuck the tire.

I've read that stock springs can sag, but I've also read that they last forever and don't sag. I want a stock or close to stock ride and height. Close to 1 inch drop would be perfect since I still have the clearance I need and the wheel gap is reduced. I would be okay with stock height though if it means I don't have to spend a lot more on shocks since this is just a commuter car with the occasional spirited driving. I have a few questions.

1) Are the stock springs likely sagging in the back or could that be the rubber components that are worn which are causing the drop? My guess is that that's too much of a drop to be caused by worn rubber alone.

2) What's a good/inexpensive spring to use with KYB-GR2's or similar OEM replacement shock? I don't want to compromise shock life.

3) Does anyone have any experience with the no-name generic type replacement shock and spring assembly from car part stores and online, or are those a waste of time? I don't want to go that route if the performance and reliability are less than stock or if I can do better for not too much more money.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm basically trying to freshen up the stock suspension (mainly the rear) for as little as possible and I want it close to stock comfort and reliable. The Eibach Prokit springs and dampers seem perfect, but I didn't want to spend that much.
By egsedanguy
#351420 if your just using it as a daily car and not looking to lower it, I would recommend a set of Aftermarket oe style replacement strut assemblies. they will come with the complete strut, spring and seats ready to install.
By EconoBox
#351421 There are a ton of options to look at. Tein makes really nice lowering springs, Eibach, Dropzone, even autoparts stores carry brands like Monroe that offer full strut packages with springs and shocks together usually for a decent price. I would look into replacements from your local autoparts store or through Honda. Most aftermarket stuff from Eibach, Tein and such is going to lower your car. If you want stock ride height and comfort they aren't going to be quite the same.

Also if you don't mind haggling at the local Honda dealership I'll tell you normal retail for the 'shock absorber' (Springs, shock, top hat) all together is $300.33 each. My employee cost at work would be $198.22 each. If you want to tell a parts guy near you that price and get OEM ones thats an option or I'd be more than happy to work with you through PM to sell you a set at that price. Just give them part number 52610-SR0-Y21 and you will need 2. Honda no longer stocks these so they ship from our warehouse at Vintage Parts they would take a few days for you to get, maybe quicker since you're in Cali.
By str888
#351424 Thanks for the replies and thank EconBox for the offer.

I think I may just be able to replace the springs. I don't know how its possible after so many miles and years from what I've read, but as far as I can tell my shocks seem to be okay. They don't bounce back more than once when I push down on the car, the car doesn't bounce when I drive, they don't seem to be leaking and I never had any problem tire wear. Maybe I just can't tell because the rear springs are worn.

I think I like the idea of a mild drop with the Eibach pro kit springs.
By egsedanguy
#351425 I would still recommend doing new shocks, that's a lot of miles. especially if your gonna run a shorter spring. also replacing the top hat bushings would be good too. :D
By str888
egsedanguy wrote:I would still recommend doing new shocks, that's a lot of miles. especially if your gonna run a shorter spring. also replacing the top hat bushings would be good too. :D

Yeah, good point.
By Johnny Stick
#352402 GO for eiback. just coz they suit what you need (good/inexpensive). I've seen a few of those on partsgeek and they go relatively cheap (around 260 IIRC) and their prices are like the ones @ auto parts warehouse so yeah, good deal. of if you want something a bit cheaper, a trip to your local shop could net you one at a decent price.