Springs, Struts, Swaybars, Bushings, Tower Braces & more
By crankinstein
#343876 Looking for some insight with respect to the suspension on my hatch.

First, let me tell you that I just bought it and haven't been under it, so I'm not entirely sure which spring/shock set-up I have. What I can tell you is that I have driven lowered cars before, but nothing like this. I'm fairly certain I got some air off a small hump on the way home...

It feels like ever crack in the road is a ditch, and every bump a culvert. Obviously I exaggerate slightly, but it's rough and I would like to fix it on a budget.

I feel as though and extra 3/4" of ride height would help, but am looking for your thoughts.
By teal_dx
#343883 Let us know when you find out more info on the car's suspension. Also let us know which bushings you have. Urethane bushings will ride harsh compared to stock rubber ones. Also, how low is the car? as you said, bringing it up a little will also help some.
By jefferydclark
#343886 tire size has a big role in ride as well..it would be best to post a picture of the car and look in to the suspension and get the brands if any. you can get an amazing ride even on springs and sleeves as long as its set up right.
By crankinstein
#344118 I will get more information on the suspension and bushings over the weekend. I plan to change the timing belt, tensioner and waterpump so I'll have a pretty clear look and the rest of it.

As for the wheels, 13" steels with 175/70 snow tires... Plan to look for some nicer rollers for the summer sometime in the near future.

By crankinstein
#344174 So it looks like I have coilover sleeves, and oddly short springs... As for how low the car sits currently, I had to over-inflate the front tires to get enough clearance to slide a low-rise floor jack under the nose lol

Can I get longer springs? Maybe a different spring rate to soften the ride a bit?
By teal_dx
#344178 Do you know what kind of struts those are? It looks like they're leaking oil (notice all the grime on the body of the shock) If so, I'd replace the whole setup while you have it apart. :thumb:
By crankinstein
#344210 I'm not sure what they are exactly, other than more than likely blown.

Now the shopping begins, I suppose. Struts and springs...
By crankinstein
#344488 We aren't allowed to use salt in my area because there's so much water around, we wouldn't want to contaminate the waterways with anything other than the discarded beer cans of ice fisherman...

ITR suspension about to go in. Wish me luck lol
By crankinstein
#344553 ITR suspension is in, and the car is sitting pretty high off the ground. Rides like a dream though! It's sooooooo much more comfortable, yet firm and confidence-inspiring.

I purposely took a notoriously rough route home from work today and the car was perfect.

I am thinking of getting some lower springs for the summer, but these are definitely going back on for the winter!

Oh, and I managed to get through the swap without breaking a single bolt. One welded nut did break free on the rear, but it was a 19mm that a socket and long breaker bar took care of.
By crankinstein
teal_dx wrote:Do you know what kind of struts those are? It looks like they're leaking oil (notice all the grime on the body of the shock) If so, I'd replace the whole setup while you have it apart. :thumb:

Started to take the sleeves off the old shocks this am, Sensitrac stickers underneath.

Looking to firm things up a touch. Thinking rear anti-roll bar now that I have ITR rear LCAs, and maybe some bracing front and back, on a budget of course.

Thoughts?
By crankinstein
teal_dx wrote:Monroe Sensitrac is a replacement for OEM. So they will pretty much leak oil and blow if you go too low on them.

All four were blown, explained the harsh ride. Loving the ITR set-up though.