Springs, Struts, Swaybars, Bushings, Tower Braces & more
By frosty_eg
#343547 Hi everyone i have a 92 vx it came with some crappy i mean crappy ebay coils and im using it as my daily to work and back and its killing my back and handles like crap, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on something good for daily driving im not going for a dumped look, a slight drop is good enough for me as of now im looking at kyb struts and tien h techs for springs any help would be greatly appreciated, I drive about 45 miles a day with a one year on the back.
By teal_dx
#343557 If the ride height is currently slammed, that will cause most suspension setups to handle poorly and ride like crap. Your suggestion sounds good to me. You said you only want to be lowered a little bit which will be a huge help in handling and the life of your struts. :thumb:
By juls1488
#343558 tein h techs are super comfortable. i had a set on an old ek hatch. improved handling but didnt make it uncomfortable. was only about a 1 inch drop.
i used em with koni yellows, but kyb will be great too
By frosty_eg
#343560 thanks for the input guys i found a set of 4 kyb struts for 220 shipped so i think ill just do that and I have some new ebay springs i didnt use back when I had my 00 civic years ago. Going to try that combo before ordering the h techs.
By PirateEG
#346162 I read on honda-tech that the STAGG brand (maybe ebay only) is a good alternative on a budget for quality shocks AND SPRINGS!

here are a few excerpts from their forum:

I would compare the springs to Tein/Eibach and the struts to Tociko blues. I had no problems at all with this setup and am actually buying the same setup again from ebay for my 02 Acura RSX that replaced my EM2. The ride is as good as stock with better handling and I was lowered about 1.5". I would recommend these to anyone on a budget that wants to do a subtle drop at an affordable price. WELL WORTH IT!

I just installed a set of STAGG dampers with sportline springs on my buddies EJ2. They were a dramatic improvement over the stock ones. I'm sure the stock ones were pretty bad when changed them out, but I've got tokico blues w/ skunk2 springs on my EJ1 and his car felt really good. It cornered well and had a very smooth ride. When I'm ready to change my struts out I'll probably go with STAGGS.

So they seem to be an alternative as well.

But I had a question for ya'll. To go with the 1.5 inch drop version or the 2 inch drop version.

Looking to use some of my student loan money to fix her up, the rear right makes a wicked "thunk" noise over bumps, and I could swing spending the 317 for the 2" or 313 for the 1.5 inch.

Currently my ride came with lowering spring... looks like a shitty brand, but have not looked in a while. The thing is low, a nice low. But I was trying to find side by side pics of 1.5" lower versus 2".

This "kit" will be a stepping stone for me, once I am out of school and employed again I will retire DDing her and FINALLY get the "track/Autox" suspension I had had my heart set on. But being a poor college student doesn't help any.
By teal_dx
#346165 Without knowing anything about the product, I think ride quality is going to be the main difference between the 1.5 and 2" springs. Lower looks better but never rides as nice.
By suspendedHatch
#346177 ITR springs and Koni struts that allow a 1 inch drop + GSR sway bars and front upper and lower braces is the best daily driver setup. You wont get any better handling for real life road conditions and it's pretty cheap too.

It wont give you the crippled drop look all you guys are crazy about though.
By PirateEG
#346190 Already have front and rear strut bars. poly bushing (thus far only installed in the front)

and this is how she is currently sitting. Kinda poor pic, but I will update them once I finished painting the front bumper and passenger fender... along with refinishing the wheels (went graphite)

I have also fixed that dent and repainted the fender, and painter the antenna delete white. Found a stock spoiler at the local pick n pull (painted white), removed the rust and made the side skirt black again.

I like the height, any guesses on the drop? I can check out the springs again, but I am fairly sure they are cheap ebay springs or non-high-quality springs.
By Driv-it-hard
#346200 Looks really nice so far. I would say the drop is 1 1/2 or 2 inch.
Keep it up
By PirateEG
#346222 Thanks, yea I like the height and would like to keep it, but the springs are starting to rust and that can only mean bad things WAY down the line at least.

If someone has a stock ride height EG, or just the specs, from the ground to the side skirt or top of the fender I can measure and see were she is at.

But I think the height is about optimal, there are only a few places where I have to be careful about the muffler bottoming out. Otherwise, she is nice and low but can drive everywhere.
By panic989
#347213 Stock ride height on a 94 dx seems to be right about 7 inches from the ground at all four jacking points.