Springs, Struts, Swaybars, Bushings, Tower Braces & more
By AutoXRacer
#337048 Hey guys!.

Can someone give me some advise?

I am planning on ordering some Skunk2 Pro-S II Coilovers with custom springrates.

I am just curious what other people are running for AutoX and Daily Drivers

I am boosting a B18C5 with a gutted hatch, AutoPower 6-Piont Weld Roll Cage, AF Rear LCAs, Subframe Brace, Tie Bar, 24mm Sway Bar, and 15x8 +20 BBS RM's.

Could someone give me any knowledge on springrates and what would be plausible for my EG? I was thinking of 12kg front and 10kg rear?

haha thanks again guys.
By bks84
#337050 12k/10k? itll ride like complete shit and probably wont be very beneficial.

probably start off with something more modest... like 10/8's.
By AutoXRacer
#337055 yeah the ones I am planning on ordering are 10kg/8kg,
just checking out to see what some people think.

I know it would ride like a tank on steroids, but its definitely going to be a garage whore and the occasional track days.

so when I do drive it, I will be driving the piss out of the suspension.
so just curious if the springrate would be useful or useless.

I use to D1 my 300ZX so I know what shitty suspension feels like. lol
im just not use to such a light car, especially gutted. Just seeing what everyone else runs.
By bks84
#337056 I would start off with somethign lighter, rather than jump to the heavier spring. You said youre not use to the car, so why not start off at the bottom and do like other racers do and find out what works best for you.
By AutoXRacer
bks84 wrote:I would start off with somethign lighter, rather than jump to the heavier spring. You said youre not use to the car, so why not start off at the bottom and do like other racers do and find out what works best for you.

true enough, I just don't want to buy some springs and then not like how much flex they have. I am a fairly skilled driver and i'm use to no shock travel.

I have owned my civic for almost 2 years now so I am familiar with the car, and I have driven the thing pretty damn hard, just never in an AutoX or Circuit form.

I am just curious if some other members are familiar with different spring set-ups and which is preferred. For some reason 10kg/8kg just sounds to soft for my driving technique. But again I have never used custom springs in such a light car.

I am just wondering if anyone has some experience with different spring rates.
By jrowley
#337063 My current spring rate is 10.5/9.2 on my coupe I find them to soft my car is however a coupe with full interior. I use falken rt615k tires so they have an abundance of grip for my setup if you drive like I do you may like the 12/10 setup. I'm looking for 12/12 myself hope that helps.
By DeanPant
#337064 Hey dude,

i had 12/10kg in my sedan and it pretty hard, kinda got annoying when driving anywhere (personal preference) Im ordering a set of coilovers now for my hatch also, going to go with BC coilovers 8/6kg.

heres a link with the spring rates that they do - which can give you some ideas

http://www.bc-racing.co.uk/applications ... -rs-1.html
By eg-guy
#337068 I'm running 430# front and 400# rears. The ride can get rough on bumpy roads and really long trips get uncomfortable after awhile but overall I'm very pleased with these spring rates.
By AutoXRacer
#337072 Yeah I was debating on how much I will actually drive the car in the city. And personally it will be more of a garage who're then anything.

And I drive the thing like I use to drive my 300zx lol
I think that for my purpose of the car that 12kg/10kg will be a perfect setup with the suspension mods I have.

Plus it's pretty much going to be driven hard when taken out.
By Greasedmonkey
#337892 I was running 12k/9k and it was very streetable. Worked great on the track as well. talking to a lot of other auto cross people that raced in civics, they tended to like stiffer rates in the rear to help with rotation. A friend had 12k/14k on his SC b18c eg hatch.
By civicexracer
AutoXRacer wrote:I am a fairly skilled driver and i'm use to no shock travel.

I have owned my civic for almost 2 years now so I am familiar with the car, and I have driven the thing pretty damn hard, just never in an AutoX or Circuit form.

I am just curious if some other members are familiar with different spring set-ups and which is preferred. For some reason 10kg/8kg just sounds to soft for my driving technique. But again I have never used custom springs in such a light car.

In my experience with 8 years of autox and an instructor for NCCBMWCCA and WDCR-SCCA, VERY and I mean VERY, few people truly know their car and their skill level. Trust me, I can't count how many people come to a school or an event with a big ego but find out very fast that they have no clue about car control. I'm not saying you don't know anything, but I have to go by my experiences.

10kg/mm and 8kg/mm equates to about 550lbs/in and 450lbs/in. Those rates are actually right around on point for your car. There IS such thing as too stiff for a car. And that can be very noticeable in autox. Body roll isn't necessarily a bad thing..

I have a '95 Civic EX that I had set up to be as competitive as possible for SCCA-STC class. For about a year I ran OTS Koni Sports with Ground-Control coilovers with 450lbs/in front and 550lbs/in rear springs. I later had the Koni's revalved to their Race specs and went up in spring rate to 650lbs/in front and 800lbs/in rear. Or about 11.5kg/mm front and about 14kg/mm rear. I've since acquired a more competitive car so I do not compete with this '95 anymore. BUT, if I had to do it over again, I would LOWER the spring rate down probably somewhere in the 500lbs/in front and 600lbs/in rear range, or about 9kg/mm front and 11kg/mm rear.

The thing you have to keep in mind is that when it comes to autox, there is no exact formula for car setup. It is all dependent on other car suspension mods, TIRE!!(big deal!), course/pavement(extremely variable but important), and most importantly driver skill and technique. So no matter what anyone tells you, you cannot bet that that setup will work for you. The only way to know if to try out different setups, tweek and tune until you find what works for you.

IMO, like I said with re-doing the setup on my '95, I would suggest something around 500lbs/in front and 600lbs/in rear(about 9kg/mm front and 11kg/mm rear). If you're set on the 12/10 numbers, switch them. Do 10 front and 12 rear. I ONLY advise this if this is REALLY going to be a track car for you. This type of setup, with your other mods, could be dangerous on the street. And I know how many people say "track car only" but never track it and just drive like assholes on the road... So make a wise decision.

For what it's worth, go with Koni and Ground-Control. Leaps and bounds better performance and tune-ability than the Skunk2 crap.

Just my .02.
By ohDirka
civicexracer wrote:

In my experience with 8 years of autox and an instructor for NCCBMWCCA and WDCR-SCCA, VERY and I mean VERY, few people truly know their car and their skill level. Trust me, I can't count how many people come to a school or an event with a big ego but find out very fast that they have no clue about car control. I'm not saying you don't know anything, but I have to go by my experiences.

10kg/mm and 8kg/mm equates to about 550lbs/in and 450lbs/in. Those rates are actually right around on point for your car. There IS such thing as too stiff for a car. And that can be very noticeable in autox. Body roll isn't necessarily a bad thing..

I have a '95 Civic EX that I had set up to be as competitive as possible for SCCA-STC class. For about a year I ran OTS Koni Sports with Ground-Control coilovers with 450lbs/in front and 550lbs/in rear springs. I later had the Koni's revalved to their Race specs and went up in spring rate to 650lbs/in front and 800lbs/in rear. Or about 11.5kg/mm front and about 14kg/mm rear. I've since acquired a more competitive car so I do not compete with this '95 anymore. BUT, if I had to do it over again, I would LOWER the spring rate down probably somewhere in the 500lbs/in front and 600lbs/in rear range, or about 9kg/mm front and 11kg/mm rear.

The thing you have to keep in mind is that when it comes to autox, there is no exact formula for car setup. It is all dependent on other car suspension mods, TIRE!!(big deal!), course/pavement(extremely variable but important), and most importantly driver skill and technique. So no matter what anyone tells you, you cannot bet that that setup will work for you. The only way to know if to try out different setups, tweek and tune until you find what works for you.

IMO, like I said with re-doing the setup on my '95, I would suggest something around 500lbs/in front and 600lbs/in rear(about 9kg/mm front and 11kg/mm rear). If you're set on the 12/10 numbers, switch them. Do 10 front and 12 rear. I ONLY advise this if this is REALLY going to be a track car for you. This type of setup, with your other mods, could be dangerous on the street. And I know how many people say "track car only" but never track it and just drive like assholes on the road... So make a wise decision.

For what it's worth, go with Koni and Ground-Control. Leaps and bounds better performance and tune-ability than the Skunk2 crap.

Just my .02.

Good info right there! I totally agree with you on the Koni's. :thumb:
By AutoXRacer
ohDirka wrote:
civicexracer wrote:

Just my .02.

I can definitely understand the flip of the spring rates, but It will be street legal, but I am not one of those retards on the street that race everyone they see. Racing is for the track, keep it off the streets.

So seeing as it will be on the streets as well as the track I think that the 9kg/11kg would be a good medium for hard AutoX but also calm street driving?

and the tires I always run is Toyo Proxes T1R Tires or Falken Ziex 912's.

Thank you guys for your input, kind of makes my decision making a tad easier knowing people with experience.
By AutoXRacer
ohDirka wrote:
civicexracer wrote:

Just my .02.

I can definitely understand the flip of the spring rates, but It will be street legal, but I am not one of those retards on the street that race everyone they see. Racing is for the track, keep it off the streets.

So seeing as it will be on the streets as well as the track I think that the 9kg/11kg would be a good medium for hard AutoX but also calm street driving?

Thank you guys for your input, kind of makes my decision making a tad easier knowing people with experience.
By civicexracer
AutoXRacer wrote:I can definitely understand the flip of the spring rates, but It will be street legal, but I am not one of those retards on the street that race everyone they see. Racing is for the track, keep it off the streets.

It'll be good for autox, for street use it'll be rough. Having such a high spring rate in the rear makes for a pretty uncomfortable ride on the roads. Going over bridges/overpasses that aren't smooth are really bad lol. Like I said though, be careful on the streets with this setup. It'll want to oversteer if you ever make fast transitions or trail brake.

If you have any real interest in autox or tracking your car, you'll definitely want better tires than the T1r's or 912's. Especially with this suspension, your weakest point will by far be those tires.