Springs, Struts, Swaybars, Bushings, Tower Braces & more
By jetlikoki86
#334125 gusy any idea where to find top hats for lowering springs not for coilovers, the deal is that my springs lowered my car more than 2 inch and blown my shocks, if i get a new set of shocks, same thing will happen

any link or suggestion??
By TrailerTrash
#334127 sounds like what happens when you put shitty ass ebay lowering springs that have a million pound spring rates on worn out stock struts

what brand of lowering springs and whats the springrates?

buy quality struts. the stock ones were probably shot already. or buy quality lowering springs that are made to be paired with stock length struts if your going to replace the struts with OEM
By jetlikoki86
#334128 H&R springs, they lowered my car more than expected and of course the shocks have less available damper travel
By eg-guy
TrailerTrash wrote:buy quality struts.

^^

Extended top hats are your only choice besides oem and they aren't going to help with blown or oem replacement shocks. Look into koni sports (yellows)or specials(reds), skunk2 sports, tockico illumina, kyb agx any of those will work well with your higher spring rates and drop. :thumb:

Edit: Aftermarket top hats aren't designed for lowering springs even tho some people use them. To answer your question: You can have your oem top hats extended that way the top of the spring is seated correctly.
By suspendedHatch
#334146 Were they OEM struts? Were you lowering the car for appearance only? The struts have more effect on handling than the springs.

Extended top hats will give you a little more travel. They have the added benefit of resetting the resting position of the strut piston back near center, but for some strut designs ie. Koni, this isn't necessary. It will benefit OEM and Tokicos as well as many others.
By eg-guy
#334152 OEM as well as similiar replacements shocks won't benifet much from one inch of extra suspension travel when the spring rates are higher than the shock is designed to handle. The shocks will blow it's just a matter of time.

The only aftermarket top hats i've seen (ground control, ebay top hats)are made to capture a 2.25-2.5in ID spring with flat tops and bottoms like ID springs for coilover sleeves. Lowering springs will not sit correctly them.