Springs, Struts, Swaybars, Bushings, Tower Braces & more
By HagerSol
#326649 Hi guys, I've looked around for a while now but can't seem to find a step by step guide to installing my new coilovers. I saw a decent video on YouTube but he skips over the most important parts! Some people say you need a spring compressor, others say you don't...anyone have a good link that I'm missing?? I could barely afford the parts let alone labour so your help will be much appreciated! Thanks guys!
By Flatland_EG
#326663 Are they just the springs or are the spring and strut already together?

If it's the fore then, yes, you'll need a spring compressor, if it's the latter you don't need one, just simply remove the old strut/spring assembly and install the new ones.
If you need a spring compressor you can usually rent them from your local auto parts store(Autozone,O'Reilly's, etc.) for around $20-$30 or if you have a hardware store like Harbor Freight in the area you can buy them for about the same price.

I also just doubled checked and I didn't see a DIY on how to install them here so you might have to hunker down with Google and simply keep searching.
By HagerSol
#326676 Thanks, they are the full coilover already assembled. I'll take pics and post a DIY but from what I can tell it's fairly straight forward so hopefully I don't snap any bolts and tmw I'll be sittin' pretty!
Then it's a matter of dialing them in which will prolly be more difficult than the install lol
By Civic_HatchSI
#326733 You will probably have to cut or torch out your rear lca bolts. They always seem to be seized. Good luck with the install :thumb:
By Flatland_EG
Civic_HatchSI wrote:You will probably have to cut or torch out your rear lca bolts. They always seem to be seized. Good luck with the install :thumb:

I know mine were stubborn as hell on my sedan but I finally got them to break loose with a cheater bar, I didn't and I know I probably should've but it wouldn't hurt to soak them with some penetrating oil at least a couple hours before you start to help loosen them up a bit. :thumb:
By juls1488
Flatland_EG wrote: I didn't and I know I probably should've but it wouldn't hurt to soak them with some penetrating oil at least a couple hours before you start to help loosen them up a bit. :thumb:

^this.
if its a part i havent ever loosened or replaced, i start to use some pb blaster on them a day or two in advance. also might help ya.
By MG6
juls1488 wrote:
Flatland_EG wrote: I didn't and I know I probably should've but it wouldn't hurt to soak them with some penetrating oil at least a couple hours before you start to help loosen them up a bit. :thumb:

^this.
if its a part i havent ever loosened or replaced, i start to use some pb blaster on them a day or two in advance. also might help ya.

agree. Pb does wonder.
By HeikDiesel
#326796 Even if you can get that bolt loose it usually damages that bushing in the process. Make sure you check those bushings if they do give you a hard time.