Springs, Struts, Swaybars, Bushings, Tower Braces & more
By rustyrex
#324783 looking at the thread that was just started i realized i have yet to order any suspension. I think that it is important since my current set up involves 2x2 square stock wedged between the mounts lol. i was looking at ground controls website and became confused. what spring rate should i go with for daily use? i do plan to eventually plan to track the car at Thompson Speedway, but i am not concerned about that now. i have no idea how to choose my spring rate. Its a 95 hatch cx with a D16A6 swap. i have all factory control arms and no camber kits if that matters. I plan on running my 15x7 +40 rims i just got with either 195/55s or 205/55 im not sure yet.
By Fada Blayne
#324792 What shocks will you be running them with? Id recommend 400f 300r for what you're trying to achieve. Fronts may be a bit harsh but if you've got a shock with which you can adjust dampening you can make it a little softer to compensate.
By rustyrex
#324794 More than likely koni yellows.
By Fada Blayne
#324796 :thumb:

Perfect
By rustyrex
#324797 That's kinda was I was figuring. I've been reading and its seem like 400-450f and 250-350r should work. I'm concerned about the rear. I plan on putting my system in and I'm worried about how the rear suspension will react with the extra weight. It's probably a extra 200-300 lbs ill be adding in the back.
By rustyrex
#324802 That's kinda was I was figuring. I've been reading and its seem like 400-450f and 250-350r should work. I'm concerned about the rear. I plan on putting my system in and I'm worried about how the rear suspension will react with the extra weight. It's probably a extra 200-300 lbs ill be adding in the back.
By Fada Blayne
#324803 thats where dampening comes into play :)
By rustyrex
#324809 Yeah I am definitely gonna have to research suspensions lol. All of my other cars used to have air ride. I live the way it handles and rides but I am not spending 2 grand on air ride for this car yet.
By civicexracer
#324915 Kind of need to decide your ultimate future with your car. Is this going to really just be a daily driver? I've heard a million times people say they plan on taking their cars to the track, but really never do. Or maybe they do it once and figure out it's not for them. Will you be putting in that super heavy sound system in for sure or just maybe?

How low do you want your car to sit?

All of those determine what spring rate you should go with. If this is really just your daily driver and you won't be doing track stuff, you don't need to get crazy with the spring rates. UNLESS, you really want to slam your car, which is why I asked how low you want your car to be. If you're putting ~300lbs of junk in the trunk, that will definitely make a difference.

Try to figure out what you want out of your car to make choosing the right rates easier. One of the great things about this setup is that if down the road you decide to change things around, say you want to make this into more of a track/weekend fun car and ditch the stereo, you can buy new springs with difference rates, swap them in and be good to go.
By rustyrex
#324918 as far as the track goes i would like to go to the drag track. i am not sure if i actually will or not.

the stereo system is for sure going in. i refuse to own a car without one. i have all the equipment in my garage i just need to get off my lazy ass an install it all. just putting everything in the trunk it drops about a inch or so.

as far as how i want the car to sit. i want to get rid of the 4x4 status. i do not want a hellflush car. i want something practical that i can pull in and out of driveways and go over speed bumps and not have to worry about blowing out a shock or scraping anything. i am thinking around a 2" or even 2.5" drop. once i see it at that height i will know for sure how low i truely want to go. but i think that, that drop would work good for my area and the commutes i have.
By civicexracer
#324921 With drag racing, you'd definitely a fairly high rear spring rate. I'm sure any fair amount of increase in rear spring rate will be ideal.

Ideally, putting in the heavy stereo before installing the suspension would be best. Reason being, if that system weight a few hundred pounds, it'll definitely lower the car which means you'll need to adjust the height. So if the system is already in, it saves you from adjusting the height multiple times rather just than once or twice. Just remember, any time you adjust the height, you'll need to get an alignment..

For that kind of drop, I'd go with at least 400 lb/in for the front, 450 lb/in would be a bit safer without killing the ride quality much. If budget allows, I'd suggest getting the front extended top hats for a little more travel room in the front suspension just in case. The front suspension on these cars really lack travel when lowering.. For the rear, with the stereo and at that height, maybe at least 300 lb/in, 350 lb/in to be a bit safer, would probably be a decent trade off for comfort and performance WITH the stereo in there. The rear suspension has a lot of travel so a softer rate back there is usually fine, and the softer the rear rate, the better the ride quality. The main thing with that stereo being in there is preventing the rear suspension from major compression when hitting big bumps/dips (like highway overpasses). Should be just fine though.
By rustyrex
#324922 I appreciate all of your info. Those numbers are what I was leaning towards. Thanks again