Springs, Struts, Swaybars, Bushings, Tower Braces & more
By xhardlinerx
#322827 I am going to install new shocks and springs with help of my family mechanic who owns a autobody shop.

Question 1: Would it be good to install new bushings too?
I heard that the poly bushings are really stiff and you can feel every pebble on the road. This is my daily driver car.

I have Blox rear lower control arms and I thought the bushings in them were already decent bushings.( I dont know though)
Im still trying to decide if I should take out the Blox rear lower control arms and install the stock ones.

I was going to buy the hyper flex kit for $150.00
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/pr ... d=16.18103

I dont know if I should buy rear trailing arm bushings, I heard they were hard to install.
Question 2: I think that if the rear T.A. bushings aren't bad, then don't install new ones because it wont make a difference.

Question 3:
I dont know If i need to buy front and rear sway bar bushings either.

I bought Koni Oranges and Tein S-Tech springs new.
(I cant check any parts of my car right now because it is at a shop)

Question 4: I think I have stock front control arms and I know I have Blox rear control arms, is that bad?)

Since bushings only decreases ride quality and and improves handling, I think I should do it. The only driving factors I'm concerned about is with a car that is too low that it scrapes header/bumper.
By teal_dx
#322830 If your oem rubber bushings are worn and cause unwanted suspension play, then it is time to replace them. They are 20+ years old, so there's a good chance they're worn. You WILL feel every little bump in the road if you go with Poly Bushings. They will be difficult to install but still easier than OEM. (I installed the Energy kit without a bushing press, used a bench vise. OEM bushings will require a press)

If you get the Energy Suspension kit, one of our trusted forum vendors sells it for $145, free shipping: http://www.corsportusa.com/store/catalo ... ts_id=7530

The rear trailing arm bushings were the most difficult bushing that I installed on my car. I would not recommend it on a daily driver.

The kit should come with Sway Bar End Link bushings for the sway bar.

Your control arm setup is fine. All aftermarket control arms do is look prettier and weigh a little less than the OEM ones. OEM front arms and aftermarket rear arms is what a lot of people have because the rear LCA is easy to replace compared to the front one. :thumb:

Here's a DIY I made back in the day. I didn't get a ton of pics but there's a little taste of the install:
http://www.civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=16
By juls1488
#322831 I replaced my rubber bushings with the poly ones using teal's guide, and it makes a night and day difference handling. ride quality isn't really that much worse either, so i would do it. :thumb:
my trailing arm bushings were ok, so i left those alone. but if i were to replace those i would use a stock rubber replacement, not polyurethane.
the Tein s-tech springs shouldn't put your car too low. IIRC they only have a 2.5in drop.
By xhardlinerx
#322836 Thanks I will post my review of the bushings/springs/shocks once there installed.
By HeikDiesel
#322852 Any reason why you don't consider a harder OEM style bushing like PCI or HardRace?
By xhardlinerx
HeikDiesel wrote:Any reason why you don't consider a harder OEM style bushing like PCI or HardRace?

Thanks, I will look into that. I'm assuming that the Harder OEM bushings are softer than the Poly bushings and will have a smoother ride quality.

I dont know which is the best option for me because I dont know how much of a difference the ride quality is for the PCI/Hardrace bushings.

I saw that the Harder OEM bushings are $300, if there isnt much of a difference than I want to get the cheaper Poly bushings for $145.
By HeikDiesel
xhardlinerx wrote:
HeikDiesel wrote:Any reason why you don't consider a harder OEM style bushing like PCI or HardRace?

Thanks, I will look into that. I'm assuming that the Harder OEM bushings are softer than the Poly bushings and will have a smoother ride quality.

I dont know which is the best option for me because I dont know how much of a difference the ride quality is for the PCI/Hardrace bushings.

I saw that the Harder OEM bushings are $300, if there isnt much of a difference than I want to get the cheaper Poly bushings for $145.

If anything those poly bushings are MUCH softer than the HardRace ones. Plus they just sit in the bore rather than being pushed in so they can just rotate at will. I worked on a car with poly bushings and the suspension was junk. The whole spindle just fell when I was putting springs on. On my car, I have to stand on it just to get the shock fork off.
By rustyrex
#323167 I planned on doing the E.S. master kit and installing spherical trailing arm bushings. I have read both good and bad and a couple horrible reviews on the E.S. kit. Damn near every bushing I have is dry rotted. I am looking for a really firm ride (giggity). So, I say do the poly bushings if you have to or if you are looking for a firmer ride.