Springs, Struts, Swaybars, Bushings, Tower Braces & more
By xhardlinerx
#322046 I recently bought a 92 Si hatch with a B16. It came with:
-Tokico blue struts
-Skunk2 springs
-Ebay header and exhaust
-Blox control arms (the guy gave me his stock control arms too)

I need to replace my struts, I'm not sure if my springs are bad but I don't think they are.

I'm not sure if its just the struts that are causing my issues or also the skunk 2 springs too.

My header gets scratched and dented any time I drive over a bumpy road or pothole because my car is too low or because the Ebay header's clearance is too low.

I have two options to prevent my header scraping issue.

Option 1: Install only skunk 2 struts with my skunk 2 springs. Would that prevent my headers from getting scratched? (I am going to install a stock header too) I was going to buy a header guard also.
Is the skunk2 springs and struts setup not for a daily driver?

Option 2: Buy Koni oranges (or any strut you recommend for a Daily driver) with some new springs that aren't too low.
I think this option has a better chance from my header being scraped, but is also more expensive.

I need to research the best springs for around $300-400 with a Middle range drop suitable for a daily driver. ( Recommendations would be appreciated)

I was also going to install stock Lower control arms since people said the blox control arms are garbage.

I was thinking about buying a aftermarket header, but I heard that the Stock headers are better than the $300-400 priced aftermarket headers.
By FG2_Andrew
#322048 Blue are OE REPLACEMENT struts. Replace those first..
By xhardlinerx
#322060 I thought some people had skunk 2 springs with a header that had good clearance. (They said they didnt have issues with scraping.)

I think this cheap ebay header has very poor clearance as it sits very close to the ground. I will measure the distance tomorrow.
By asianrob
#322072 id replace those bushings on those blox arm's before you install them. you can get replacement bushings at like jhp or anyother place that carries blox items.
By xhardlinerx
asianrob wrote:id replace those bushings on those blox arm's before you install them. you can get replacement bushings at like jhp or anyother place that carries blox items.

Thanks, but I was going to install stock lower control arms and take the Blox arms out because I heard the Blox arms are crappy.
By blk92hb
xhardlinerx wrote:
asianrob wrote:id replace those bushings on those blox arm's before you install them. you can get replacement bushings at like jhp or anyother place that carries blox items.

Thanks, but I was going to install stock lower control arms and take the Blox arms out because I heard the Blox arms are crappy.

its the bushings that are crappy, the arms are fine.

i would just replace the shocks with the skunk2 shocks. the s2 shock will last longer then the tokico blues because you are bottoming out the blues. the s2 springs are oem spring rates just lower, so when you got worn out shocks the car will ride on the springs and scrape on the ground
By xhardlinerx
#322478 Can springs become faulty if they have been riding on crappy OEM replacement shocks?

If so, then I am probably going to get Koni Orange shocks with Tein H-Tech springs. Any suggestions?
By FG2_Andrew
blk92hb wrote:
xhardlinerx wrote:

its the bushings that are crappy, the arms are fine.

i would just replace the shocks with the skunk2 shocks. the s2 shock will last longer then the tokico blues because you are bottoming out the blues. the s2 springs are oem spring rates just lower, so when you got worn out shocks the car will ride on the springs and scrape on the ground

IIRC Blox arms are junky because the will bend and twist if you even have a slight accident like sliding off the road. F7 or oem are the only tried and true CAs. Don't get me wrong it's mainly the bushings most people worry about.
By suspendedHatch
#322555 Springs can sag from being beaten on on very bad roads, but it's not likely. Most likely they are an application that is simply too low for street use. This wont prevent ricers from using them on the street...

The struts will affect your handling only. They resist the motion of the springs that would otherwise continue bouncing. They don't affect ride height and don't increase your spring rate. Only the springs can affect that.

It's as you said: ride height too low and poor header clearance. Tokico blues are shit, but changing them wont solve your problem.

In that price range you should look for some used springs.