Springs, Struts, Swaybars, Bushings, Tower Braces & more
By xhardlinerx
#320594 What parts would I need to make my 92 civic Si have a actual real sport tuned suspension? I use to have a 94 base 3000Gt and I could easily do sharp turns at 30 MPH at stoplights and when I was on the highway I could easily turn at 70-85 MPH on highway ramps.

I am afraid to turn when going more than 20 MPH at sharp turns and afraid of going over 70 MPH on highway turnramps. (These are with new stock CV axles) The civic Si I bought came with skunk2 springs, toxico blues struts, blox LCAs, front and rear sway bar.

Would GSR axles help me turn faster?
By JohnRM
#320599 Stiffer suspension will help a lot. I can do a 90 degree turn at 30 mph and can also do 80 mph safe on highway ramps. I have Megan Racing EZ street coilovers btw
By Apexracing
#320610 Tires tires tires. Nothing improves the handling of your car more than good wide sticky tires.
By juls1488
Apexracing wrote:Tires tires tires. Nothing improves the handling of your car more than good wide sticky tires.

^this. 100x this.
also, replacing the old bushings in the suspension with new rubber ones, or even polyurethane bushings wouldn't hurt either.
By chrono404
Apexracing wrote:Tires tires tires. Nothing improves the handling of your car more than good wide sticky tires.

x2

1) Sticky Summer Tires
2) Good springs/coil-overs
3) Sway Bars

Good tires are a great place to start off with. I put a set of 15"x8" Rims and Yokohama S Drives on my dad's almost stock 1995 Toyota Corolla*. It handles incredibly well and I'm always surprised how good it handles the turns.

*Mods on 95 Corolla are a Panasonic DVD player and Corolla Wagon rear springs on KYB Gas Struts I got out of a Junkyard. The Corolla has 258,XXX miles on it.
By EJ1_MK
chrono404 wrote:

x2

1) Sticky Summer Tires
3) Sway Bars

Good tires are a great place to start off with. I put a set of 15"x8" Rims and Yokohama S Drives on my dad's almost stock 1995 Toyota Corolla*. It handles incredibly well and I'm always surprised how good it handles the turns.

*Mods on 95 Corolla are a Panasonic DVD player and Corolla Wagon rear springs on KYB Gas Struts I got out of a Junkyard. The Corolla has 258,XXX miles on it.

X3 it all goes into play with each other on these cars. Because they are lighter they need a bit more attention to details then other cars. We all run a bit different setups, but I can assure you that, I among others on here can make sharp turns much faster than 30mph and hit long sweeping turns full throttle on the hwy. at 90+

Only thing I would add is:

4) Bushings
By nd1983
1) Sticky Summer Tires
3) Sway Bars
4) Bushings

all of those in that order. if you just do 2-4 you will slide around corners from G-force.
just 1, 3 & 4 you will get body roll around corners
4 isn't always necessary if your bushing are still in good shape. but upgrading to poly is always a plus for handling.
By civicexracer
xhardlinerx wrote:What parts would I need to make my 92 civic Si have a actual real sport tuned suspension? I use to have a 94 base 3000Gt and I could easily do sharp turns at 30 MPH at stoplights and when I was on the highway I could easily turn at 70-85 MPH on highway ramps.

I am afraid to turn when going more than 20 MPH at sharp turns and afraid of going over 70 MPH on highway turnramps. (These are with new stock CV axles) The civic Si I bought came with skunk2 springs, toxico blues struts, blox LCAs, front and rear sway bar.

Would GSR axles help me turn faster?

Lose most of your current suspension parts... The Tokico blues are OE replacement shocks, in otherwords, stock... The Skunk2 springs are not a good performance spring and since they are matched with OE replacement shocks, your handling will suffer a lot. Blox LCA's are garbage.

I'd replace all those to start off. Get a decent set of coilovers, better LCA's or stock with aftermarket bushings.

And like others said, tires are the single most important factor for handling well. I can be a lot faster than well modified cars with a near stock suspension and a simple swap to a good set of wheels/tires.

And um.... learn how to drive. If you know your limit and your cars limit, you won't need much to have your car corner faster lol