Springs, Struts, Swaybars, Bushings, Tower Braces & more
By rafaortiz21
#297687 I know it might sound crazy but my car sometimes sways from side to side. first I thought it was the great California freeways but my fried drove the car and told me about the side to side sway. Any ideas on what to look for, inspect and replace.
By couch_c
rafaortiz21 wrote:I know it might sound crazy but my car sometimes sways from side to side. first I thought it was the great California freeways but my fried drove the car and told me about the side to side sway. Any ideas on what to look for, inspect and replace.

How fast are you driving?
By rated-EG
#297692 wheel alignment, could be something with the axels maybe
By TrailerTrash
#297712 could be tires, suspension, alignment, steering rack problems, the list goes on
By rafaortiz21
#297737 I was going about 75mph. I have the stock steele rims 14s with some skinny ass tire. I bought the car like that. Its also slammed with nuspeed springs. No thing looks out of the ordinary.
This is my daily driver now and Im trying to bring it back to life. Every time i look for something another thing its broken..... :(
By -paul
#297746 If it's slammed then it's a good chance the wheel alignment is completely out. Get that checked out first.
By Wicked
#297802 I get this too. If its not your alignment, its simply because your so slammed that theirs little give in the suspension, if your wheels have little side wall then they tend to catch the grooves in the road more and the road tends to steer the car. Its even more noticeable if you don't have power steering.
By couch_c
#297818 Whenever I go above 70mph the wind moves my car side to side a little, not violently but I can feel it, especially with the windows down, but I have a hatch and it's semi gutted (no seats, luggage, etc.)
By rafaortiz21
#297821 My friend works at a honda dealer and took my car to check the suspension and alignment, they suggested to raise the car about an inch.. The alignment is not bad at all, they were impressed due to the car sitting so low on 14s. Another suggestion was to get taller tires what ever that means? If I get bigger tires they my rub right?
By stuckagain
rafaortiz21 wrote:My friend works at a honda dealer and took my car to check the suspension and alignment, they suggested to raise the car about an inch.. The alignment is not bad at all, they were impressed due to the car sitting so low on 14s. Another suggestion was to get taller tires what ever that means? If I get bigger tires they my rub right?

Yes they may rub if you get taller tires. But I assume if you had it a dealership they wouldnt tell you to get taller tires if they would rub. What size tire are you running now? Also why would they tell you to raise your car if the alignment is in check???
By TrailerTrash
rafaortiz21 wrote:The alignment is not bad at all

Not bad at all? i think its either set correctly or its not.

why would they tell you to raise your car or get taller tires? if they think that will correct the alignment thats "not bad at all", maybe they should actually give the car a proper alignment
By stuckagain
#297881 [/quote]

Not bad at all? i think its either set correctly or its not.
[/quote]
x2 I didnt catch that part
By rafaortiz21
#298045 I talked to my friend and ask him all the questions that I could and here are his answers. They recomend to raise my car because i need to replace my oil pan because its bent from being hit. The alingment was done and they fixed the toe because the camber was fine. They said my tires are not the recomended size for the stock rims.
And they found a boot that need to be replaced.
By cody27
#298419 i could be off base here but isnt the down pipe lower than the oil pan on most hondas so it would be gone if the pan was being dented....if pan is in fact dented from slammin pavement get a used one and weld on some plate i did this with my VW cause the pans on those are LOW and the exhaust exits the back of the block so it doesnt protect the pan.

what size tires are you running?

i would guess the boot in need of repair would be a CV boot which is a cheap repair if you DIY or possibly a steering rod boot.

back to the original post when you say "sway" do ya mean drift across the roadway? if so the toe problem would have been causing that and probly wore the crap out of your tires at the same time.

and lastly forget raising it.