Springs, Struts, Swaybars, Bushings, Tower Braces & more
By tat2
#293576 Hi, ive an eg with stock suspension, which could do with lowering on a budget, ive been warned away from the ebay lowering springs, and i have access to an extensive engineering place, so was going to get hold of some strut top mounts and extend them by an inch or so?

Would this be effective enough on its own? im not a fast driver at all, comfort and looks are more important than handling on the limit, so any advice is welcomed, thanks in advance!

****Ignore this, its now a thread about chopping springs! Read on...****
Last edited by tat2 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By EJ1_MK
#293592 You can buy full body coil overs to lower it just as much and have more adjust ability to it or run an extend top hat with a spring and shock set up and extending the top hats will possible hit the hood but there are several good riding coil overs that you can get that will allow you to lower the car have the comfort not as much as stock but give you the look that you might be looking for.
By bigpunn421
#293610 i would raise the strut mount on the car. if you want a lower car mount the same suspension higher. easier said then done. and not worth it when you can find used coilovers for cheap

moding the top hats usually is for the shock not the spring. if you change the top hat you wont lower it more than .25" you can raise it via the top hat but lowering it cant happen. think of how it works and look at some pics

you will have to cut the springs if you dont mod the mounting part on frame to lower it.

all of this can be skipped by buying springs or coilovers which i reccomend
By tat2
#293733 Aaah, i think i understand-extending the top hats allows the shock to extend back into its proper range of travel again, not bottoming out-correct? And its not gonna move the springs up at all. (I think im with ya!)

So considering moneys tight, what would you recommend looking for? Im not after mega slammed, just 50mm or so.
By Apexracing
#293848 eibach sportline springs.
By EJ1_MK
Apexracing wrote:eibach sportline springs.

agreed :thumb:
By bigpunn421
#294064 if money is tight cut the springs. i dont reccomend it but itll get the job done. you dont want to cut a bunch off at once. just a little at a time. you cant add material once its cut off. but you can always remove more

research how to cut springs. people have been cutting springs to lower cars since cars had suspension to be cut.

or if you want to do it proper buy springs or coilovers.
By tat2
#294142 Anyone on here cut springs before? Any advice? And am i right to avoid the generic ebay £50 springs?