Springs, Struts, Swaybars, Bushings, Tower Braces & more
By juls1488
#293090 This just started last night on my way home.
When applying the brakes lightly at low speed, i get this rhythmic creaking sound from the drivers side wheel area. sounds allot like a kid jumping on an old spring mattress.
There is no play in the wheel at the 12&6 or 3&9 positions.
gave the search function on here, and google a shot, but all the results i found suggested axle or wheel bearing but my axle and wheel bearing are both brand new.
Any thoughts?
By Classiccarsrule85
#293094 could be your suspension bushing or a control arm bushing i know on my moms old camry when you would push on the car or stuff like that hit a bump etc you would hear a craky noise turned out it was the strut top bushings i know theres a tech name for them but its the two round bushings in the strut hat ....but id say its a bushing since there is no play
By 92civic_vx
juls1488 wrote: When applying the brakes lightly at low speed, i get this rhythmic creaking sound from the drivers side wheel area.

when braking only? if so it could be a brake pad shim or clip that is rubbing on the rotor lightly.
By juls1488
#293111 wow, thanks for the quick responses.
could be your suspension bushing or a control arm bushing i know on my moms old camry when you would push on the car or stuff like that hit a bump etc you would hear a craky noise turned out it was the strut top bushings i know theres a tech name for them but its the two round bushings in the strut hat ....but id say its a bushing since there is no play

i will have to check the lower arm bushings. i dont think its the bushings on top of the strut since i have fairly new ground control tophats there.

when braking only? if so it could be a brake pad shim or clip that is rubbing on the rotor lightly.

it doesn't make the noise if i coast to a stop. sometimes, it will make it on takeoff, but i notice it more when stopping.
also, there isnt any vibration in my steering wheel, or pedals, and the car stops smoothly. i will check the lower bushings and the brake clip when i get home.
By juls1488
#293231 a bit of an update.
i checked out the lower arm bushings, and didn't see any cracks or tears, and they seem fine. took the tire off the hub to check the brake caliper, and everything seemed fine there.
but when i put the tire back on the hub, it now has a bit of a wiggle at the 12 and 6 positions. i took it for a quick jaunt on my twisty back roads, and a new noise has developed. :cry:
on harder right turns i can hear and slightly feel, a sort of thudding sensation coming from the drivers side wheel, and the creaking noise when stopping has gotten louder, and makes it when stopping at all speeds now. everything is tightened appropriately
would i be right in thinking that its a balljoint? are there any other tests i can do to make sure? my gut instinct is that its the lower one. any insight is appreciated.
By eg-guy
#293317 Do you have koni struts? if so your strut could have dropped down in the fork and made contact with the axle.

Bad wheel bearing

cv joint

thats all i can think of from hearing that sound.
By juls1488
eg-guy wrote:Do you have koni struts? if so your strut could have dropped down in the fork and made contact with the axle.

Bad wheel bearing

cv joint

thats all i can think of from hearing that sound.

I do have konis, so ill check to see if it dropped down.

My wheel bearing and axle on that side are both new, which is why this perplexes me.