Springs, Struts, Swaybars, Bushings, Tower Braces & more
By johnsonm781
#291849 I am trying to know what spring rate would be best for an occasional auto x race/ drag strip weekend/ 95%DD. Please help need info now. I was thinking 280 in the front and 230 in the rear? any info would be much appreciated .
Last edited by johnsonm781 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
By johnsonm781
#291875 please let me know ASAP! i am getting kyb agx adjustable struts and i found 3 springs im thinking about....1st (best choice IMO) DNA Springs lowers 1.75'' front and rear with a spring rate of 280 front and 230 rear. $76.99.....2nd choice K sport springs lowers 2.5"front and 2.25" rear with an unknown spring rate that i can find for 130 shipped to my door...3rd choice Megan Lowering Springs lowers 1.75" front and rear with a spring rate of 240 front and 230 rear and cost $115.... i don't have much money right now for springs since everything is happening at once on my civic but need new setup ASAP!!! I am trying to stay cheap but good rates...idc how long they last right now can change later when more money comes in. But if you guys know of a good spring for cheap like these with a rate that is good for occasional track use but mostly DD right now please let me know ASAP.
By EJ1_MK
#291954 If your are going with springs you will not need to worry about spring rates so much. and all the rates that you listed will still ride extremely well. Spring rate only matter when you step up to sleeve overs or full coil overs. Full coils will give you max adjustment but will cut your ride comfort down.
By johnsonm781
#291960 Well I keep researching and finding guys with just springs with a rate like 400 or 450 in the front and 350 or 400 in the rear why so high if 280 front and 230 rears ride extremely well.
By johnsonm781
#291962 Also I am going from kyb gr-2 struts and ebay shit springs.....will I need an alignment after this?[url][/url]
By bigpunn421
#291986 people buy high spring rates for performance. less body movement and stiffer

buying suspension is like buying tires. pros and cons. you have to find the best match for you. everyones different. some people drive on perfect roads. some have to drive over bumps and potholes.

if you buy a all season tire you will not get performance. so if you buy coils for daily driver and track you will not get performace. too soft for racing and too hard for smooth ride.

if you buy race suspension you will have performance. but at a cost. the ride will be garbage on daily road, ruff stiff ride.

its all win/loose find out best setup for you. if you drive on road that are bumpy get stock itr spring rates. if you can take the bumps get harder springs.

your car launches better with lower stiff suspension, handles better, brakes better, looks better, etc. but you might not need all that if you daily it.

i have stiff ass omni suspension on my ride now. and it sucks on the road. i pick women up and they say it rides like junk. cant have that. over the bumpy roads it feels like a washboard. i am switching back to a stockish setup for road and if i have a race comming up i will change the entire coilover. i couldnt find a spring setup that could manage both daily smoothness or race stiffness.
By bigpunn421
johnsonm781 wrote:Also I am going from kyb gr-2 struts and ebay shit springs.....will I need an alignment after this?[url][/url]

if you change ride height you should need a alignment. its always good to get one than notice you tires wear unevenly.

and dont buy ebay springs. unless you buy eibachs or h&r. you can get them in softer rates similar to itr setup.
By johnsonm781
#292009 Never buy ebay springs...lol! Tell that to the previous owner who told me this had skunk2 everything suspension whebn it was blown to fu$# struts and ebay springs.
By johnsonm781
#292044 Ok so I got some used kyb agx's but no knob on strut cylinder?....only on top of the strut "rod" aka the red green whit settings....also has some sleeves stuck on em...easy way to get theem off?
By johnsonm781
#293255 ok guys is a spring rate of 450 in front and 250 in rear decent for a DD/ weekend track car??? please help me i need to order these tonight
By bigpunn421
#293484 usually you want the rear end to swing out. stiffer rear springs help the rear to swing out and helps squat on acceleration.

if you can take the bumpyness get stiffer springs. they perform better but ride quality goes down.

im going with eibach pro kit. 1.3" drop and close to itr spring rate. car is mostly dd 90% and 10% fun on weekends.

i would consider itr spring rates with sway bars front and rear, poly bushes, traction bars, strut bars and nice tires over stiff ride for daily use cars.

97, 00-01 ITR factory 250F/250R
GS-R factory 200F/95R

taken from here
http://www.civicforums.com/forums/44-su ... erial.html