Springs, Struts, Swaybars, Bushings, Tower Braces & more
By Greasedmonkey
#284001 This thread is to inform you on how to loop your power steering rack on an EG chassis (also works for DC integras). If youre looking to do this on an EK chassis see Mr. EM1's thead here: http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2538767 Removing the PS system should be simple enough, just drain the fluid out of the reservoir/lines and unbolt everything. A turkey baster works well for emptying the reservoir quickly and cleanly.

Once you get down to the rack there should be 2 fittings you need to loop. One is 14mm X 1.5 and the other is 16mm X 1.5. I used these adapters (I ordered from this site too and they came in a few days): [url="http://bakerprecision.com/adapt20.htm"]http://bakerprecision.com/adapt20.htm[/url]

Youll need part numbers FCM2240 and FCM2241. From there I used whats called socketless hose. Part number FCM1512 on this page ( [url="http://bakerprecision.com/aqp1.htm"]http://bakerprecision.com/aqp1.htm[/url] ) fits on the adapters listed above. Part # FBN0600 is the hose I used to loop them, I bought 2 ft but you could probably get away with 1 ft. I didnt use a breather and I havent had any problems. I did drain a lot of the fluid out of the rack though, only leave a little in there to keep it lubricated. If you wanna use full SS braided off the adapter fittings you can do that and piece together your own lines. The hose im using has been working great though and its black so it stays out of sight. There will be a third hole in the rack that needs to be plugged. It should be a 14mm X 1.00, which is the same size as a flywheel bolt, which is what i used to plug it.

Before:

Fittings:

After:

Benefits:

-Improved steering response, better, more confident feeling through the steering wheel.
-Less weight
-Frees up power by removing the pump

Drawbacks:
-Heavier steering feel, especially when parking

Lots of people have argued that a breather is needed to relieve air pressure that might get trapped in the system. Obviously air will be trapped in the system with this setup but I have not noticed any extra resistance. The looped setup is harder to turn at speeds < 5mph so parking can be a bit of a chore but in such lightweight cars it really isnt so bad.

Taken from Honda Tech
By kingjmack
#284011 Pretty cool. Currently, I have the looped line set-up with a breather, and noticed the breather is soaked with PS fluid. Might have to try this.
By Greasedmonkey
#284021 you can also try replacing the breather with a reservoir, somewhat like the clutch one.
By theforce
#323981 This setup looks pretty neat and simply but am keen to know if it is still running without dramas? I will be installing an aftermarket steering wheel and doing this at the same time.

Btw, are you still using your stock steering wheel? I've heard AF steering wheels will make it even more difficult to steer?
By strykr
theforce wrote:This setup looks pretty neat and simply but am keen to know if it is still running without dramas? I will be installing an aftermarket steering wheel and doing this at the same time.

Btw, are you still using your stock steering wheel? I've heard AF steering wheels will make it even more difficult to steer?

People have been doing this for years! There are a lot of threads on this topic already. I personally had one of my integra's looped for years without a problem.
By G402
#326791 I've been riding like this for a while now without any problems.
Still wondering if this steers heavier then a non powered steering rack.
By theforce
strykr wrote:
theforce wrote:This setup looks pretty neat and simply but am keen to know if it is still running without dramas? I will be installing an aftermarket steering wheel and doing this at the same time.

People have been doing this for years! There are a lot of threads on this topic already. I personally had one of my integra's looped for years without a problem.

Sweet. Thinking of keeping my current lines intact so might head down to the wrecking yard and cut me some PS lines since I won't be spending cash on adapters etc.
By iThorr
#348051 In the shell I got, those two lines were cut, then bent closed, is this okay? Or do I need to loop it? I plan on leaving it without power steering
By teal_dx
#348059 You need to loop it. As the rack turns left to right, it needs to breathe as the volume inside changes. Sounds like someone did a quick job and just cut yours. I would think with the lines closed, your rack is fighting a lot of pressure and that could cause other parts or seals to wear sooner.
By egsedanguy
#348064 Ya it has to be looped. When I did mine I just put a bolt in there and it cause my steering to lock up. lucky I was doing it while it was on jacks and not driving it. :thumb:
By suspendedHatch
#348150 If you put a reservoir or breather on the lines, be prepared for random volcanic eruptions of power steering fluid on the underside of your hood.

I read somewhere that with powersteering, the gears are fully submerged in fluid but when you go manual, you need to get most of the fluid out. Have the hoses aimed at a drain pan and secure them so they don't move under pressure, then slowly crank the wheel from one side to the other with the wheels off the ground.
By egsedanguy
suspendedHatch wrote:If you put a reservoir or breather on the lines, be prepared for random volcanic eruptions of power steering fluid on the underside of your hood.

I read somewhere that with powersteering, the gears are fully submerged in fluid but when you go manual, you need to get most of the fluid out. Have the hoses aimed at a drain pan and secure them so they don't move under pressure, then slowly crank the wheel from one side to the other with the wheels off the ground.

yes this. Lol I still remember when i did mine and i turned the wheel and fluid went all over the rack and subframe and the ground lol.
By iThorr
teal_dx wrote:You need to loop it. As the rack turns left to right, it needs to breathe as the volume inside changes. Sounds like someone did a quick job and just cut yours. I would think with the lines closed, your rack is fighting a lot of pressure and that could cause other parts or seals to wear sooner.

Okay, I'll put it on the list of things to do! Thanks :thumb: it didn't seem to hard to turn while pushing it around the shop, they might not be completely closed up like it looks and is probably letting pressure out, but i'll loop them.