Springs, Struts, Swaybars, Bushings, Tower Braces & more
By chewse
#275267 Hey guys a few weeks ago I change most of my steering and suspension parts; struts, balljoints, upper control arms and outer tie rods...evrything felt good but a couple of days ago I began getting a rumbling shaking sound comin from d front left wheel over minor and major road bumps the steering wheel will also vibrate and pull to the left when this happens.....what could it be ..cv joints, wheel bearings and inner tie rods were not changed...my car is RHD by the way
By EJ1_MK
#275294 it only does it over bumps only or all the time can you hear and get the vibration. And this might be a dumb question but you replaced everything with new parts correct?

Could be a wheel bearing but that should make noise all the time. Sounds like possible a strut or your rack has got some sort of issue. Possibly even one of the ball joints that you replaced was defective from the factory and has already blown out. Might need to take the wheel off and have a look to make sure but the CV shaft should not cause that.
By chewse
EJ1_MK wrote:it only does it over bumps only or all the time can you hear and get the vibration. And this might be a dumb question but you replaced everything with new parts correct?

Could be a wheel bearing but that should make noise all the time. Sounds like possible a strut or your rack has got some sort of issue. Possibly even one of the ball joints that you replaced was defective from the factory and has already blown out. Might need to take the wheel off and have a look to make sure but the CV shaft should not cause that.

Man I thought of everything that u said above but I found d prob when I decided to get under the car...u see I had one of our local mechanics install the new parts for me and I also asked him to check the condition of my LCA bushings and he told me dat the bushings were ok so I took his word for it but when I looked under the car I could see daylight through the bushing where strut fork connects and that bushing is all but gone...so I've found the problem...but when I went to purchase a new bushing every store I went ask that I remove the old bushing so that they could sell me the right one...do any of u guys get that problem with stores in your neck of the woods? Its a common prob down here they always ask for d old part to compare...ima have my mechanic replace d bushing tomorrow ...I'll let u guys know if that took care of the prob.
By EJ1_MK
#275346 No, but that would make sense is for the front bushings on the lower control arms or the back. I would look into just getting poly bushings or go to the local honda deal if you have one. and replace with stock. Most parts stores do that anywhere cause they don't deal with imports much in the states.
By chewse
#275915 The bushing wsnt as bad as I thought but I had it changed anyway and the noise and feel are still there....since the steering wheel shakes and sometimes pulls to the left when the sound is heard could the problem be with my steering rack? I also noticed a this
You can see where the circular thing on the axle makes contact with the body
I repositioned this circular thing a bit closer to the wheel where it couldn't make contact with anything but nothing changed so this clearly wasn't the problem....this is beginning to drive me crazy
By chewse
RWMIII wrote:I suggest jacking the car up and see if you are getting any play out of the inner/outer tie-rods. Sounds like one is bad.

Outer tie rods are less than a month old and the inner tie rods were checked for wear when outer was replaced but I keep thing its a steering problem so it could be my inner tie rods but would this cause the vibration in my front wheel?
By EJ1_MK
#276032 It almost sounds like a compliance bushing they bolt to the end of the lower control ARM in the front. But it still only does it at certain speeds?
By chewse
EJ1_MK wrote:It almost sounds like a compliance bushing they bolt to the end of the lower control ARM in the front. But it still only does it at certain speeds?

Well with higher speeds what I notice is that it vibrates/rumbles over every minor unseen bump in the road but over smooth pavement it rides like new....it just sounds and feels like something is loose and I've checked and rechecked evry bolt
By EJ1_MK
#276052 On smooth roads it feels fine and then on roads that are not as smooth it vibrates. Do you have power steering or is it a manual rack, Mine vibrates on the highway cause I did not loop the power steering and there is no fluid in the rack so it tends to vibrate the wheel a little but still feels very tight and stiff.
By chewse
#276054 I've got power steering and my rack has a little leak but nothing major as my steering feels tight but could a bad rack cause one wheel to vibrate so badly ( maybe my rack is worse than I thought)?
By RWMIII
#276088 I had a bad inner tie-rod that did the exact same thing that you are experiencing. Are these OEM parts or aftermarket? Is the car lowered? If it is it could be the upper control arm hitting inside the fender well. It also sounds like a stut hat that isnt tightened all of the way.

My question is why cant your mechanic that did the work figure out what is wrong with it? If he cant then I would look for someone new. After paying someone to do that much work you should have the right to go back to them and present them with the problem. Just my 2 cents. We can only make suggestions here, some off of personal experience, others of us from professional experience as legit auto technicians.
By eg-guy
#276194 I'm leaning torwards, the upper strut mounts. Make sure those are tightly bolted to the strut.
By chewse
eg-guy wrote:I'm leaning torwards, the upper strut mounts. Make sure those are tightly bolted to the strut.

O yes I've been meaning to check the mount bolts but I don't have a deep socket so ima get one tomorrow and check dat out I also plan on changing the the inner tie rods and cv joints and axles in the next 2 weeks but I really wanna find this prob first
By eg-guy
chewse wrote:
eg-guy wrote:I'm leaning torwards, the upper strut mounts. Make sure those are tightly bolted to the strut.

O yes I've been meaning to check the mount bolts but I don't have a deep socket so ima get one tomorrow and check dat out I also plan on changing the the inner tie rods and cv joints and axles in the next 2 weeks but I really wanna find this prob first

make sure to have the right sized wrench to hold the strut while tightening that nut down, or it will strip really easily.