Springs, Struts, Swaybars, Bushings, Tower Braces & more
By gettinjiggywidit
#274407 Hi folks. i am currently rebuilding my whole suspention. How to i go about replacing the upper wishbone ball joints? and the ball joint on the bottom of the hub? will i need to buy new whole assemblys?

thanks.
By Fada Blayne
#274424 no you can just purchase the ball joints separately and press them in
By RWMIII
Fada Blayne wrote:no you can just purchase the ball joints separately and press them in

:thumb:

Just take the new ball joints and arms to almost any mechanics shop, and they should press them in for a nominal fee.
By neo27ny
#274521 I wouldn't bother taking them to a shop. You can do them yourself. I just did both of my lower ones recently. Take a hammer and pound the old ones out, you don't have to worry about messing them up. With the new ones though try to keep them centered and tap them in gently. Then take a 2x4 or something similar with your hammer so you aren't hitting directly on the new ball joints and damaging them. Pound them in until they sit where they are supposed to then install your snap ring on the bottom. They go in fairly easy. As for the upper control arms I never changed mine I just bought new arms on ebay they are fairly cheap. You could prob do them the same way just be more careful not to damage the arms, not sure how strong they are.
By RWMIII
#274522 It's better to do it right than having to do it a second time. Using the wrong tools and equipment can cause more harm than good. There is a wheel bearing how to in the diy section.
By eg-guy
neo27ny wrote:I wouldn't bother taking them to a shop. You can do them yourself. I just did both of my lower ones recently. Take a hammer and pound the old ones out, you don't have to worry about messing them up. With the new ones though try to keep them centered and tap them in gently. Then take a 2x4 or something similar with your hammer so you aren't hitting directly on the new ball joints and damaging them. Pound them in until they sit where they are supposed to then install your snap ring on the bottom. They go in fairly easy. As for the upper control arms I never changed mine I just bought new arms on ebay they are fairly cheap. You could prob do them the same way just be more careful not to damage the arms, not sure how strong they are.

I would't pound ball joints out, i tried to diy upper ball joints on my ef. all it did was stretch the hole so i had to buy a new control arm.

autozone is where i get my ball joints and tie rods, pull the parts and take them to a shop that way u don't have to pay more for the mechanic to disasemble everything :thumb:
By neo27ny
eg-guy wrote:
neo27ny wrote:I wouldn't bother taking them to a shop. You can do them yourself. I just did both of my lower ones recently. Take a hammer and pound the old ones out, you don't have to worry about messing them up. With the new ones though try to keep them centered and tap them in gently. Then take a 2x4 or something similar with your hammer so you aren't hitting directly on the new ball joints and damaging them. Pound them in until they sit where they are supposed to then install your snap ring on the bottom. They go in fairly easy. As for the upper control arms I never changed mine I just bought new arms on ebay they are fairly cheap. You could prob do them the same way just be more careful not to damage the arms, not sure how strong they are.

I would't pound ball joints out, i tried to diy upper ball joints on my ef. all it did was stretch the hole so i had to buy a new control arm.

autozone is where i get my ball joints and tie rods, pull the parts and take them to a shop that way u don't have to pay more for the mechanic to disasemble everything :thumb:

I wasn't sure about the upper control arms I said I had bought new ones but the bottoms ones you can pound out no problem. You are not going to break or stretch that. I've done lower ones many times with a hammer and 2x4.
By gettinjiggywidit
RWMIII wrote:It's better to do it right than having to do it a second time. Using the wrong tools and equipment can cause more harm than good. There is a wheel bearing how to in the diy section.

Yes thats how i like to think i do things. Sorry i have looked, obviously not hard enough :D
By RWMIII
gettinjiggywidit wrote:
RWMIII wrote:It's better to do it right than having to do it a second time. Using the wrong tools and equipment can cause more harm than good. There is a wheel bearing how to in the diy section.

Yes thats how i like to think i do things. Sorry i have looked, obviously not hard enough :D

Guess it wasnt added to the list yet: http://www.civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=21623