Springs, Struts, Swaybars, Bushings, Tower Braces & more
By chewse
#252399 Hey guys is there anway I can change my rear struts without using a spring compressor?
By HAFIL0_EG
#252402 using a spring compressor is the safest way to change out struts and spring compressors are now at an affordable price between $20-$50 for a basic kit
By chewse
#252405 Well in my part of the world they aren't so cheap and are not very common..they cost the equivalent of almost 100 us.....I just can't justify buying something I won't use very often at that price...I can this done at a garage but I'm a diyer . I was thinking dat if I raise the vehicle and undo the lower control arm bolt and secure it with a floor jack then remove the 14mm strut bolt in the trunk..then slowly lower the the floor under d control arm to decompress the spring then disassemble the strut and spring and do the reverse to install the new strut....does this make sense to anyone?
By HAFIL0_EG
#252421 i can see where you are coming from and that was how i thought of doing it back in the day when i first got into modding cars but you also have to think of the safety aspect of things, you wouldn't want to injure yourself on the sake of saving $100. i know people who have taken "shortcuts" and are now minus a digit, etc etc. i just dont like hearing bad things happening when it didn't have to be that way

there's always egay for cheap tools for any job

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PROTECH-Coil-Spr ... 1572wt_905
By AutoXCivic
#252457 Are there no auto parts stores that lend out tools in your neck of the woods? I know here if I can go borrow one from a parts store, all they need is a deposit.
By ghskid06
#252469 I remember loweing my ex last year, i borrowed a compressor.
Since i have used one about 3 times and will be needing one again in a couple weeks.

I wish i had bought one.
By LaosToaster
#252511 u dont want a flying spring to hit ur face, its $100 or $10000 ur pick.
By chewse
#252682 I'm gonna take the advice from u guys and do it properly....surprisingly a good friend of mine has a compressor so it won't cost me a dime
By chewse
#252683 I'm gonna take the advice from u guys and do it properly....surprisingly a good friend of mine has a compressor so it won't cost me a dime...good looking out guys cus if anyone of u guys said it was ok I would have attempted it
By d-mon
#252714 a lot of spring compressors won't fit honda springs, they're too big.
i use a jack and the car for a spring compressor.
car must be on jackstands, solid - not wobbling. with wheel off.
loosen the bolt that connects the fork or shock to lca but leave it on for now
put jack under the control arm and raise it up
PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU ARE DOING
make sure nothing is binding.
loosen nut on tophat. raise jack higher if necessary
take the tophat nut off
slowly, lower jack carfully
removbe bolt from lca and remove shock
if the springs are 'lowering springs' you will not need a compressor to put them on, they will be shorter
By chewse
#252716 I'll be using the same springs.. Would this technique still work
By d-mon
#252780 yes. only necessary for stock springs because they too tall to 'just fit'
put the spring on the shock and tophat on the spring, the shock in place, with the lca bolt in place.
make sure EVERYTHING is lined up
carefully compress spring with the jack.
MAKE SURE NOTHING BINDS
put the nut on the top hat, and tighten down.
By AutoXCivic
#252790 Good tip, I'll have to remember that if I ever have anything without a full coilover again.
By chewse
#253334 Just wanted to let u guys know I successfully removed and installed d springs without a spring compressor. It was my intention to take some pics but it was done at nite an weather did not permit. I removed the first spring using the technique I mentioned above and removed d other one after removing the shock spring combo from the car.I had to remove it because the female hex bolt was being a bit troublesome and had become almost completely rounded.Apparently there isn't much compression on the back springs to worry about ( at least in my case) cus I simply removed the top hat without any fuss but I was still a bit cautios and made sure nothing was in the way of a rapidly decompressing spring ( which didn't happen). Also I was able to place all the hardware on the new struts including the top hats then just re-installed them on the car.....by the way there is no safe way of doing this without a spring compressor when it comes to front shocks....I couldve been lucky that everything worked out ok for me so therefore guys I don't really endorse this technique unless its a last resort....always have the right tools for the job
By d-mon
#253341 springs can also slip off the compressor, so that way is dangerous, too.
also compressors don't compress evenly, and can bind up on the shock.
i will never again waste money on a spring compressor for suspension springs.
my way is MUCH safer than using compressors, if you pay attention so nothing is binding or in the wrong way.