Springs, Struts, Swaybars, Bushings, Tower Braces & more
By eg-guy
#246758 What else could cause play and vibration in the steering besides the tie rods?

Im getting alot of vibration and steering play after front end alignment. (wheels are not balanced)

Alignment specs

camber
Left front -2.8 Right front -2.7
left rear -2.0 right rear -1.7

toe
left front 0.02 right front 0.00
left rear 0.05 right rear 0.07

steer ahead
By AutoXCivic
#246782 Wheels out of balance.

How are your tires, I had one that was getting down to the cords and it started to bulge ... nasty steering vibration.

Play I'm not sure, bushings going bad. What sort of condition is your steering rack in?

I suppose the condition of your struts could also be a factor too.
By eg-guy
#246808 Im having the shop that did the alignment look at it tomarrow(i dont trust shops tho), the vibration im getting isnt coming from the wheels ive been riding like that since i bought em without much vibration at all(im getting them balanced 2maro), whats happening now is just crazy(my dash was actually boucing while on the highway), it wasnt doing any of this before the alignment, ive done city driving until today.

Struts are less than a year old, bushing look good, tires are almost new, steering rack leaks a little.

steering rack bad?
By teal_dx
#246818 There's not really anything in a bad alignment that could cause the symptoms you described. you could try trading wheels with someone for a day and see if that is the problem, if you don't trust the shop.
By AutoXCivic
#246873 Does it do it a bunch more when you are braking? Warped rotors perhaps, that can cause some serious wheel shimmy.
By eg-guy
#247151 The shop couldnt find anything wrong with the suspension or alignment. (they said because its lowered, i disagree) There is still plsy in the wheel, tires are balanced, im lost?

No vibration when braking, only when at highway speeds from 55-75mph
By eggman95
#248641 Have you found out the problem or just taking the long way every where? :D
By Greasedmonkey
#248651 Something is off if you get that sort of vibration at those speeds.

Check your axles to make sure they are good.

Check all your bushings as well.

You will not get this type of problem from just lowering a car.
By chnzgoofball
teal_dx wrote:I'd get the wheels balanced first.

i agree and hub centric rings also play a part in vibration i dont know about play though...
By Greasedmonkey
#248711 Play in the steering comes from the steering rack needing to be rebuilt or replaced.
By eg-guy
#249320 the drive axle is a few months old, the reverse axle is about a year old, no hub rings, im putting the blame on the rack.

yes i take the long way for now.