Springs, Struts, Swaybars, Bushings, Tower Braces & more
By Rufuseg8
#246456 Ok so first off there is some background info to know. I first purchased a Eg civic for my first car. I was unaware of the MANY problems its had : a bad engine, painted interior, neglected maintenance, AC issues, loud muffler, prime no paint , and BOUNCY RIDE.

Now because of this I was forced into learning about my car and thankfully I have a self taught mechanic to aid in the rebuilding as Im 19,in college and cant afford to buy a new car. With the help of my mechanic he was able to put in a new JDM d15b and change teh fuel pump. I myself have changed the fuel filter, oil, (easy routine maintenance). Ive explained this to describe the extent of knowledge in my car. I enjoy learning how to do any maintenance that benefits my car and have done any DIYs that were within my capability and budget but I am a noob and any advice should take that into account please. lol

Now to my issue. I bought the car with an unknown brand of coilovers. On stock struts maybe? Im not sure how I can tell. But i know the ride is super bouncy and I pretty sure these struts arent adjustable. My question is how should I go about stiffening my ride? New struts? Going all stock? My budget comes before having performance handling. But I do like the low style look. Thanks in advance for the advice :thumb:
By Ajax1989
#246463 how much you looking to spend?
you can find full body coliovers fairly cheap and can have the ability to lower the car and have a nice ride

theres many brands out there
and were all noobs at 1 pt in out lives
the way to learn is to ask and read :thumb:
By ExCoupe94
#246490 keep it up! sh!t is off the hook! :thumb:
in my opinion, on a budget, ditch the coils and get some lowering springs. coils are cool because you can drop your car on its nuts but you tend to get that bouncy ride without adjustable struts.
By AutoXCivic
#246526 A decent set of coilovers (without adjustable struts) will not give you a bouncy ride. My tein basics are not bouncy, plenty of road feel, but not bouncy. You just have to find a set that valves the strut properly for the weight of the springs. If the company is using a one size fits all valving on the struts then you will run into problems because they might be using a higher or lower spring rate depending on what car the coilovers are going on (and not altering the valving to compensate).
By Rufuseg8
#246731 Looking to spend less than $400. With the lowering springs, do they need to be accompanied with aftermarket struts as well?
By AutoXCivic
#246734 You should be fine with stock struts on most lowering springs. I believe that many of them were designed to work with stock struts, and thus will not be too heavy for them to handle.
By teal_dx
chilango41 wrote:If the struts are not blown then you can re-use them :thumb:

But running stock struts on a lowered car WILL shorten the life of the strut. Unless you're just doing a small drop.
By Ajax1989
teal_dx wrote:
chilango41 wrote:If the struts are not blown then you can re-use them :thumb:

But running stock struts on a lowered car WILL shorten the life of the strut. Unless you're just doing a small drop.

x2

i blew all 4 of mine in 3months
just on lowering springs..