Springs, Struts, Swaybars, Bushings, Tower Braces & more
By newbie101
#218385 Hey, I just took my car to get it aligned and get new tires.

ISSUE: The shop told me the power steering is leaking out of both sides on the rack and pinion and in order to align it properly it would have to be replaced, along with the tie rods and rack itself. I think this is bullshit, but I could be wrong. I think it may just be a seal or something but idk. What do you guys think? from my preliminary searches it seems like bullshit.

I want to replace the seals to start, before the entire rack itself since that is $300 I don't have. Sound like a plan, or no go? TIA
By teal_dx
#218403 do you notice a lot of play/slop in your steering when you turn the wheel? I don't see how it would affect your alignment unless it is throwing your toe off from side to side. To be that bad the steering would need to be pretty sloppy though.
By newbie101
#218418 no there isn't a lot of play. I think it may just be dirty in that area since the bay has yet to be cleaned. I'll just clean it tomorrow when I change the oil and determine what is up. The steering has always been phenomenal, and I'm not losing any fluid from what I can tell :?

I think they just wanted more money :lol:
By newbie101
#218726 So now that I have driven on the highway to get to work, there is noticeable pull to the left. Slop is more noticeable on the highway around 70mph :?
By MG6
#218747 you might want to read up on this thread to see if you can spot the boot ripped and see if your inner rod is gone.

http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=13588

Rack & Pin does set you back a good penny, but i will check all issues before you replace that first. Also, most R&P as far as I know from what i have experience... when it fails, it is because it wasn't kept in good condition or you got into an accident that cause it to bend. If you kept it in maintenance, i don't see it failing (but then again, it can be one of those situation a part will fail).