Springs, Struts, Swaybars, Bushings, Tower Braces & more
By ImThaBean
#206197 OK, so my daily needs some TLC. It's been lowered on some Eibach sport springs on stock everything else. The ball joints are BLOWN OUT. I've had some camber and serious toe issues since I bought the car. Ive been fighting doing a suspension tune up and have just been buying used tires which usually last me about 2-4 months. and in the last week my front right has been giving me a wobble in low speeds, I don't think I helped it when I had to pry out the lower ball joint to replace my half shaft.

Since this is my daily and I don't want to throw a crap ton of money at it I was looking at options on eBay and was wanting some advice on a few things I picked out.

First is a whole front end kit for $195. With this kit I can replace everything and call it good.

Or I can go the cheaper route and get the tie rod ends and ball joints for $37.

Either way, I need to get this done and get a good alignment to fix my toe issue cause I would like to get a full set of matching tires and have them wear evenly.

Questions, comments concerns. I'll take all of them.. :thumb:
By Torch_Ind
#206216 those are oem replacements right?

if they are it won't fix you camber angle "wear on the inside on of the tire"

you need camber kits to fix the camber from being lowered!!
By ImThaBean
#206292 There is a MASSIVE thread on H-T that details that you don't need to waste money on camber kits. I am a firm believer after that thread that they are not needed. PLus I don't have much camber. Like Teal said, it's toe that will destroy tires and I have some serious toe.
By teal_dx
#206304 we have one too http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=10807 :D

Think about the time you'll save by replacing everything at once and it will be all new again, for $195.

You get all new bushings, which your original rubber ones have to be shot. You don't have to mess with pressing in the upper ball joint, just replace the whole arm, along with the new bushings.

And you'll have nice shiny new parts 8)

If you plan on doing aftermarket control arms or urethane bushings, then it makes sense to go with the cheaper kit.
By ImThaBean
#207902 Just a quick update.

I got my parts in and started the swap. I finished the passenger side in about 9 hours start to finish.

"DAMN!!! 9 hours???", you say? Well, count 2 trips to VatoZone, 1 to PepBoys, 2 to HarborFreight, lunch, and some head scratching.

Since there is no DIY, I had to learn the hard way to do it all.

Essentially, the best route is to take EVERYTHING your replacing off and reassemble with new parts.

Also, I have to say there was 1 casualty. I bent the bolt on the new lower ball joint when trying to press it in. Seems it takes some McGyvering to get the damn press to work right.

I would write a DIY, but I don't have a helper to type and take pics while I do the work and I'm not a big fan of trying to type with greasy/dirty hands. I can, however, give pointers and advice if anyone needs it.

I hope tomorrow goes a bit smoother since I learned all the tricks today and plan on having everything done within 3hrs including swapping my driver side half shaft.