Springs, Struts, Swaybars, Bushings, Tower Braces & more
By BaTzEG92
#186108 Hello everyone!

I recently had my car inspected (middle of March), and to pass my hatch needed tires (which I knew), 1 tranny mount and 1 motor mount (took their word for it). I haven't been under the car since then, but looking under the hood, it appears as though both lower mounts were replaced (uppers seem the same as before).

Pretty much immediately after getting her back, I noticed a slight rubbing noise coming from my front driver side wheel well. Initially, it almost sounded like rusty brakes, but applying the brakes didn't affect the noise whatsoever. Fast forward a day or two and the rubbing was accompanied by a creaking noise which is now almost constant.

The noise is like a creaky bedframe, happens when I'm driving at any speed, even on a smooth road. Opening/closing my door makes it happen, rocking the car, jumping on the driver door sill, etc. I'll try to post a video later.

I did some Googling and found out it could be bushings, tie rods, or strut/shock. There is also a bit of hesitation between turning the steering wheel and actually turning (I only noticed this after reading it as a symptom, so it could well be the power of suggestion). Does this sound familiar? If so, what is a good troubleshooting/repair process?

I'm not certain if the squeak is related to the work I had done for inspection (in my mind it shouldn't be, but if I was 100% positive I wouldn't be here :D). If it's something that needs replacing, I would have hoped the shop would have noticed during inspection (it's the mechanic my family has used for 2 decades) and if it's something they caused, I'd be even more concerned haha. And I wonder if I should trust going back to them and having them check it out.

In any event, my apologies for the wall of text but I wanted to be as thorough as possible for diagnostic purposes. Thank you to anyone who can help :thumb:

Edit: Video Link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qBB2ujdiAA
Last edited by BaTzEG92 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By egsedanguy
#186128 well any time you replace a bushing or mount ther gonna squeak. but in this case it might be somthing else. it is possible that now that you have some new mounts with old mounts, that your getting a squek from the old ones. the new mounts are causeing more strain on the old mounts now. try taking some sylicon based spray lube on all your new and old bushings and mounts. it helps alot. when i replace all the underside bushings and motor mounts on my girls teggy it squeked like a jail door. haha. i used some lube and what a diff it made. it will still do it from time to time so just sprits a lil more on and bam nice and quiet. :thumb:
By BaTzEG92
#186157 Appreciate the input, EgSedanGuy.

Is it something I should worry about, or just annoying? I'll definitely try the silicone spray. ALL my bushings are old haha, haven't replaced any of those yet. If they are indeed affecting my handling, I guess that will dictate whether shit gets fixed or not :D
By egsedanguy
#186214 i dont think its anything you need to be concerned about. i would just try the lub and if that dont work i would look into replacing some of the bushings. what area is it coming from???
By BaTzEG92
#186228 Driver side wheelwell, this weekend I'm gonna have someone rock the car for me so I can try to pinpoint it.

As far as replacing the bushings, the little bit of research I did indicated that replacing the bushings can be a major PITA as opposed to just replacing the control arms they're attached to. What's your take on that? And with that in mind, are control arms something that are okay to replace on only one side, for instance only doing the driver side?

Edit: Added video link to OP
By tootybaby
#200188 Im having a a creaking noise also from my driver side. My car would shudder with turns at around 35mph. I changed my driver inner tie rod and the shudders decreased dramatically but the creaking was still there. After that I change my driver side axle. All of a sudden the creaking went away for two days. Then I started hearing it coming back and now the creak is back to the way it was haha... what a disappointment. But I'm guessing the noise is from the axle where it connects to the wheel hub. Looked kinda rusty, shouldve cleaned it up. But as for now ill just live with the annoyance and clean it up later and hope that's the problem. Hope my problem helps out. :thumb:
By BaTzEG92
#200222 I took some silicone spray to the upper control arm bushings yesterday, but the next time I took her out she creaked like a bitch haha. It's kinda hard to locate the exact source of the squeak, since it reverberates through the wheel well and engine bay. And the pain is, the best way to recreate it is to rock the car, which I can't do with the driver wheel off haha.

After inspecting it a bit closer yesterday, I think it may actually be the lower C-arm bushings, so I'll give them a spraying some time this week. Damn squeaks, bumps and rattles in our cars :D
By bk_civiceg
#205176 I would just switch out the bushings for some poly's from energy suspension. I put on the whole kit and my car feels a lot stiffer and no more squeaks!