In Car Entertainment & Security
By inxekure
#98920 Hey guys,

I was offered a JVC head unit and 4 6'5 Insignia speakers for $100 because someone banged out and as no use for it anymore. Are they
a good brand and should I get them? Opinions, please. Thank you.
By suspendedHatch
#98930 In a word, no.

Insignia is Best Buy's in-house brand. It's the bottom of the barrel. They're okay for SOME things, like digital photo frames. But with car stereo... you get exactly what you pay for.

JVC is also pretty crappy.

Some decent brand head units that wont kill your wallet are mid level and up Sony (yikes, I can't believe I'm saying that), Panasonic... Eclipse, Pioneer and Alpine make some very good quality stereos.

For speakers go with Polk, Alpine, Infinity, Kicker, Eclipse. Stay away from Sony, Pioneer, Insignia. Kenwood I can't for the life remember if they're any good but I want to say yes.

And there are other brands out there that other people can chime in on but this covers most anything you see at CC or BB. CC has some pretty damn good sales right now BTW.
By inxekure
#98973 Ahh, Thanks man. For listing out some good brands. :D
By Gorveatt
suspendedHatch wrote:In a word, no.
...JVC is also pretty crappy...

I have never had any issues with JVC, and actually are one of my more preferred brands, price to quality to functionality cost they are freaking awesome IMO.
By 95CivEg
#100985 Jvc is good, jus dont go with the cheaper shit like decks that are $60 lol
By Ej1rider
suspendedHatch wrote:JVC is also pretty crappy.

not necessarily, if you get the top end jvc stuff, meaning nothing under 300 bucks lol its great i have a jvc kw-axv810 double din touch screen and i love it

edit: sorry for bring a thread from the dead, but it kinda hit a nerve lol
By ohDirka
#109070 Rockford fosgate make some awesome speakers for the price too
By DontHateonEG8
#109083 i got pioneer speakers that i got from walmart and I LOVE THEM. they got a very good bass response, and pioneer has and will be a good company in car audio industry. why do you think they are retiring plasmas and tvs to go back to car stereo? just my opinion based on facts. :lol:
By MI_excoupe
#110892 jvc is a good brand... but like people have already said, just keep away from the cheap stuff...
By suspendedHatch
#111146 You're saying you like Pioneer speakers?! Aw man you just lost all credibility. Those are some of the worst along with Sony. And everything at Walmart. Ever notice how the Pioneer stuff sold at Walmart is different than what you get from Best Buy? It even has an abbreviated part #.

Pioneer makes excellent head units and especially in dash DVD's. I have a Pioneer bluetooth head unit in my car. However, their speakers are crap. Look how small the magnets are! My opinion is based on work experience at Circuit City and Best Buy. I hooked up systems and tuned deck settings and amp settings daily.

My favorite speakers are Kicker, followed by Alpine Type R's, and Infiniti's. Polks are pretty good too.

But hey, whatever sounds good to you is what's most important. I always kept my attitude in check. I wouldn't talk snobbishly down on a customer if they were happy.

Hm. I was nicer back then!
By DontHateonEG8
#111177 i would have to disagree on the whole walmart pioneer sucking.

my friend had alpine type r's and they sucked. he had a sony headunit and the speakers where junk. i gave him my pioneers which i bought at walmart for a whopping 20 bucks a pair and they were better.

but i guess everyone has their likes and dislikes. oh and i would like to keep all of my credibility. :lol:
By 92egdxhatch
#112332 the pioneers from walmart dont sound bad at all mine sound awesome, although i much rather would have alpine