In Car Entertainment & Security
By BAXTER_EJ1
#86757 I bought my car with a shitty, outdated alpine remote starter. VERY rarely it won't unlock one of the doors, so I'm not sure if the actuators are starting to go or if it's the control unit itself.

I've been looking at upgrading, only hesitating due to price but hopefully I can overcome that soon. Can I get your opinions on your preferred brands/units, and specifically this one I've had my eye on lately.

SuspendedHatch, I definitely want your opinion on this!

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetai ... atid=22516

The Compustar 2 Way Alarm/ Starter (2W8000FMASF)
By suspendedHatch
#87038 Stay far, far away from Compustar.

Directed! Viper, Python, Clifford.

Viper 5901, 5701.

Is your car automatic?

If price is an issue then consider something w/out remote start. Just the remote start alone costs $200-300.
By BAXTER_EJ1
#87063 It's a standard. Remote start isn't absolutely necessary, but these Canadian winters can be cold and brutal...

Worst case scenario is walking out to start the car and manually locking the doors with a second key and walking back to the house, it wouldn't be that bad.

I'll check out what you recommended!

I really like the 5901! For an alarm w/out remote start, something like the 5002 would be best? I'd assume and LCD screen is preferable to one without. I'll check out the other brands but I've known about Viper a long time and they've always had a reliable name.
By suspendedHatch
#87182 That's why I have a 5900 on mine! But it's cheaper for me because at the time I was working as an installer.

The LCD screen's nice, but it's not critical as far as security is concerned. The remote's pretty bulky. I wish the 5901 had come out a few months sooner.