In Car Entertainment & Security
By Blk95coupe
#85975 Alright so I picked up a 92 Ex Accord and when I'm driving around I hear my car coming out of my speakers lol.

I'm thinking about Ground or something to the head unit?
By ej2rey
#85982 Yeah you have a speaker ground touching sumwhere on your chassis.

That shit is annoying. Lol
By suspendedHatch
#86227 If it was a speaker wire grounding out it would put your speakers into protect mode and you wouldn't hear anything. Or if you had a stereo that doesn't have a protect mode then you would hear a loud, horrible screech. But if you are talking about engine noise that you hear even with the volume all the way down, and it follows engine RPM, then yes, that would be a stereo ground problem and possibly a bad stereo. It's more common with poor amplifier installs.
By ej2rey
suspendedHatch wrote:If it was a speaker wire grounding out it would put your speakers into protect mode and you wouldn't hear anything. Or if you had a stereo that doesn't have a protect mode then you would hear a loud, horrible screech. But if you are talking about engine noise that you hear even with the volume all the way down, and it follows engine RPM, then yes, that would be a stereo ground problem and possibly a bad stereo. It's more common with poor amplifier installs.

Yeah that's what mine used to do. It used to go up and down with the rpms. And it was the amp that was there. So I just ripped the whole shit out and just kept it stock sound system.
By suspendedHatch
#86394 Ignition noise is caused by a bad ground which is almost always a result of a non-professional install. You want to use a wire wheel on a power drill and take the paint all the way down to shiny metal. Then you use a couple of SHORT metal tapping screws and a lock washer on the ground cable's ring terminal. It has to be a part of the chassis preferably the frame rail. Some parts of the chassis are tack welded or only glued to the frame rails, so there isn't a good connection back to the battery chassis ground. ANY resistance is going to cause engine noise.

Another thing you should do with 4 channel amps is branch off the stereo's ground with an 18 gauge wire and run it all the way to the amp's ground.

Use quality RCA's and route the power cable at least 18 inches away from the rest of the amp's wiring including the remote turn on. If you have to cross any wires, do so at a 90 degree angle.

But on many cheap amps the ground goes bad internally to the amp.