In Car Entertainment & Security
By teal_dx
#82690 I'm installing a remote start on my EK and the vague instructions say that I have to connect a wire to "ground output when running"

Does that mean that There has to be a ground wire that in only 'on' when the car is running? Or can I just connect it to the chassis since that is a ground at all times, including when the car is running.

There's another wire in the same harness that I am supposed to connect to "A good chassis ground". That makes me wonder if the "ground output when running" wire cannot be a chassis ground since it is so specific :?
By JlaudioEGFreak
#82814 Usually the ground output while running is used to trigger the interface module or bypass. Depending on which kind of remote start. which remote start are you using what kind of vehicle and if applicable what kind of interface module are you using?
By teal_dx
#82819 The remote start is made by Panther. I went to their website but it has been shut down. The car is a 96 civic HX so no bypass is needed. It used to be an automatic but I converted it to manual. I never wired in the clutch pedal switch, so the car will start without having the clutch pedal pressed. It also controls power locks which I am also hoping to get to work. The directions that came with this kit are worthless, I would not recommend that anyone ever buy this kit. I got mine from Summit racing last year.
By Mayhem_Audio
#82826 can you scan the direction page
i install remote staters at work all the the time
By JlaudioEGFreak
#82827 Is this ground in your main harness along with your trunk release -, 12v constant input, parking light input ect.. Ive never heard of anyone calling it ground output when running. The only thing i could think it would be the ground when armed output which is a negative polarity which i usually hookup to like a starter kill relay like the hood pin switch. Is there a way you can post the instruction manual?
By teal_dx
By JlaudioEGFreak
#83345 You wont need the ground output while running wire you can just pull it out of your harness. In a case that you would need to you a bypass module then you would need it cause the sole purpose of the ground output while running is to trigger the interface module and tell it to start working when you remote start the car. Everything else should be pretty straight forward just go off this. This will give you your starter wire, ignition, accessory, door trigger, trunk pin, tach wire ect.... http://www.directechs.com/DirectWire/DirectWire.aspx#
Last edited by JlaudioEGFreak on Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Mayhem_Audio
#83385 thatS for a by-Pass or add on alarm
By JlaudioEGFreak
#83398 add on alarm??? why would you want to run that into a negative trigger ground input on a add on alarm or do you mean for the factory alarm?
By Mayhem_Audio
#83411 FOR BY PASS NOT ADD ON ALARM
[smilie=BangHead.gif]

MY BAD THINKING OF SOMTHING ELSE
By suspendedHatch
#83766 Wow good luck with that brand. In my experience anything other than a DEI product ends up being a nightmare.

What the instructions are referring to is usually referred to as a "status output". Your remote start system will have a ground output during remote start. You use this to temporarily bypass the clutch and still retain the normal functionality of the clutch lockout. You can also use it to temporarily bypass the shock sensor so that you can leave your alarm armed when you remote start.

I highly recommend the Viper 5900 as the best and most solid remote start/alarm product available. For manual transmission vehicles DEI came out with the Viper 5701 which is safer and fool proof, but it's no joke to install (not that any system is recommended for DIY) so it should be left to a professional who has experience with that particular system. You don't want someone learning on your car.
By JlaudioEGFreak
#83869 Viper 5901 All the way
By suspendedHatch
#83921 5901? I stop installing for 3 months due to the economy and they already have a new version?