In Car Entertainment & Security
By Gorveatt
#78615 Ok so i have a Kenwood 12" and a Jensen 600watt amp in my car, all was working fine for the longest time, then about 2 to 3 weeks ago it stopped working, it gets power, and if i turn the car off the sub makes a pop noise, if i drive the car for a while, about half an hour to 45 minutes the sub will just magically come on and work again.

i've checked the wiring, even replaced wires that looks like they were overly worn, ground is good, and the amp lights up and shows the power indicator is on as well. yet there is no sound from the sub, if i remove the wire from the connection while the stereo is on, it causes static in the sub, so i know that is getting signal, just no sound...

Any thoughts or input?
By JlaudioEGFreak
#79461 the only thing i could think is a bad rca input on your amp or a bad rca output on your deck its very simple to test just swap out the amp for another one, if one of your buddys has one than you can then see if its your rca input. If thats not the problem take an rca from another vehicle that you know is good and plug it into your amp and see if that fixes the problem. But the problem is definetly going to lie somewhere within the rca path. it could even be a pinched rca wire.
By Gorveatt
#79465 yeah that is what i am beginning to think, i'll see if i can snag some RAC's off my step brother and test them out. the thing that bugs me is that it's stil lan intermittent issue :thumbdown: sometimes it will work others it wont, i'm thinking pinched wire right now.
By BurqueB16
#80187 how are your grounds? sometimes a bad ground will do that
By Gorveatt
BurqueB16 wrote:how are your grounds? sometimes a bad ground will do that

Ground seems fine,

I still havent tested different rca's yet, as i haven't been talking to my stepbrother. i may see if i have some laying around in a box some where.
By GoRide
#80202 my amp does the same thing :S ahahaha... mines a 400watt sony, i have a friend of mine looking at it... we've tryed all new wires, different deck, sub, anything and everything u can think of.... without tearin open the amp... till now..... i think its the RCA inputs.... from what i hear they can burn out... but i dunno i'll find out once my friend gets back to me...
By JlaudioEGFreak
#80224 yes the rca inputs can wear out over time from plugging the rcas in and out. I cant tell you how many times i have soldered new rca inputs on a amp board, it happens alot from abuse.
By JlaudioEGFreak
I still havent tested different rca's yet, as i haven't been talking to my stepbrother. i may see if i have some laying around in a box some where.

what you can do is go to peripherals website and just order a tone generator there for like 50 bucks i use mine all the time. It makes trying to identify speaker wires and testing amps way easy