In Car Entertainment & Security
By suspendedHatch
#64338 Image

It's been slow at work so I convinced my boss to let me build a spare tire sub enclosure for a Honda Civic (Wouldn't you know! Once I started it got busy). I have to use my own car since there's no customer. But I told the shop manager this is a popular car with a lot of following so I should have no problem selling it.

It's going for $1000 with the Alpine amp and sub and probably $500 w/out. The amp is 500 watts RMS and the sub is a dual voice coil wired at 2 Ohms.

Originally I intended for this to be a DIY but halfway into it I realized that at over $3000 in tools required, probably $100 in supplies that you wont use up completely, 3 days of work, and a few weeks of practice to learn it; it's jut not realistic for anyone to casually attempt this.

To start off I masked off the hatch area with masking tape. Then I covered the tape up with foil and then put down two layers of wax. All this is to prevent the fiberglass from getting permanently stuck to your trunk. Originally we thought we were going to use the whole area but it turned out we only used 1/4th of it.

I found that cutting out the frame to follow the contours of the bottom of the trunk was very difficult and time consuming. You need to get this as perfect as possible or else you will have a lot more work later.

7 layers of fiberglass. Let it cure for several hours with a space heater. Then break it loose from the bottom and remove all the masking.

Then we calculated the available air space and compared that to what the sub calls for. We were over double so we put a divider at the appropriate spot and turned the other side into an amp rack. We could have easily put in two 10's, a 12, or two 12 inch subs.

This guy in the picture is my shop manager teaching me how to do this. He's worked for Alpine and Sony training installers and building their cars. He's only contracted to my employer. He has his own business where he builds custom cars commonly exceeding 10 grand in parts and labor.

After sawing and grinding down the fiberglass that spilled out from the gaps from the imperfect fit of the frame to the trunk, you fill in the space with a fiberglass compound aka "mud". Then you have to smooth that down and make sure it still fits the trunk perfectly. After this step I traced the shape out on some cardboard to use as a template if I ever make another box for this type of car.

All done except to build the framing to cover the rest of the trunk area (replacing the flimsy stock cardboard). $1000 bucks. Sounds very nice. Nice and loud (easily as loud as two 10's of the same model but in a off-the-shelf box), and yet tight. How long it takes to sell will determine if I make another one.
Last edited by suspendedHatch on Mon May 21, 2012 6:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
By suspendedHatch
#64342 Hey thanks! It was a lot of work.

I wish there was some way for me to convey the difference in sound between a custom built box spec'd to the sub and a generic store bought box that just bleeds air at every seam. A factory enclosure (ie the RSX trunk box or the 06 Civic Si sub) doesn't even hold up to the generic box.
By LowTEC-Derbo
suspendedHatch wrote:Hey thanks! It was a lot of work.

I wish there was some way for me to convey the difference in sound between a custom built box spec'd to the sub and a generic store bought box that just bleeds air at every seam. A factory enclosure (ie the RSX trunk box or the 06 Civic Si sub) doesn't even hold up to the generic box.

true, but for the money and ease of installation its awesome! :]

I'm a true minimalist when it comes to stereo equipment as I don't need theives knocking :(
By sqsi
#64373 Great work, I bet it does sound good, I have a single 12 in a correctly sized enclosure rather than a pre made generic box as well. It makes a huge difference.
By suspendedHatch
LowTEC-Derbo wrote:I'm a true minimalist when it comes to stereo equipment as I don't need theives knocking :(

Yeah I hear ya. That's why when I do mine it will be completely stealth. But even this box is pretty stealthy compared to a regular box. Put some tint on the rear windows and no one will see a thing.

A stealth alarm install can't hurt either. :P

sqsi wrote:Great work, I bet it does sound good, I have a single 12 in a correctly sized enclosure rather than a pre made generic box as well. It makes a huge difference.

I never knew there was much sound difference until I got this job and the shop manager gave me a demo. A good sub enclosure can actually double the output. This allows you to turn down the gains giving you plenty of headroom. Also makes a ported enclosure sound fairly tight. I still prefer a sealed enclosure for the type of music I listen to. But I've gained a lot of respect for custom built ported boxes.
By biretsu89
#64482 lets see a couple pics with the box in the civic :thumb: ... freakin sweet too! A+
By jmsplitfyre
#64491 Nice work there.. I have a question, can this be done without doing the box? What I mean is can it be done by directly fiberglassing the spare tire compartment then enclosing it? I know my question's kinda hard to understand, but I think you got the point. :D
By Benj
jmsplitfyre wrote:Nice work there.. I have a question, can this be done without doing the box? What I mean is can it be done by directly fiberglassing the spare tire compartment then enclosing it? I know my question's kinda hard to understand, but I think you got the point. :D

my buddy clay did it to his eg im not sure if he is on the site, but i have to say it sounds DAMN good :thumb: , oh and dude that built the box in this thread sick job :woot: :thumb:
By suspendedHatch
jmsplitfyre wrote:Nice work there.. I have a question, can this be done without doing the box? What I mean is can it be done by directly fiberglassing the spare tire compartment then enclosing it? I know my question's kinda hard to understand, but I think you got the point. :D

So you mean just permanently fiberglass the box right in? Nobody does that anymore.

Or do you mean making a fiberglass top? You always need the bracing inside. But yes, you can fiberglass the top. Just expect to pay about twice the price.
By jmsplitfyre
#64860 Well, I don't know if this makes my question any clearer but what I meant was instead of making a separate box can you do the sub enclosure directly onto the spare tire compartment?
By jmsplitfyre
hannibalhekki wrote:do you still have a spare tire?? :eh:

Me? Yes, it's still in the car but I'll take it out once I get enough information on doing the sub enclosure. :D
By suspendedHatch
#64989 Thanks everyone for the comments. This is my first big custom project... my first fiberglass. And it's not at all easy. Thanks for the encouragement.

It takes the place of the sub and your whole rear hatch sits level. The rest of the trim isn't shown in the pic. But I brought the level of the hatch area to be level with the rear seats when they're flipped down.

I live 3 miles from work and I have AAA. But for long trips it's easy to pop out the box and throw the spare back in.

This box is for sale for $500 plus packing and shipping from 84120. If you want it with the amp and sub the total is $1000, but I think it makes more sense just to buy the box and you can buy the sub and amp locally and save a little on shipping.