In Car Entertainment & Security
By ooops
#63065 My EG coupe already has an immobiliser which has to be de-activated by a key fob type thing before I can start the car, ( the little silver thing by the mirror adjustment switch)

Basically I want to upgrade to a clifford alarm so that I can have remote central locking and generally better security, but am unsure of how it will affect this immobiliser, if I have an alarm with an immobiliser I obviously dont want to keep this one, so how do I go about it, will it need to be taken out completely for the alarm to be setup or will it have to work in sync?

Also does anyone know how this standard immobiliser is wired in, as I dont want to mess with it if there is a risk I will not be able to start my car afterwards

Any help will be much appreciated :roll:
By suspendedHatch
#63155 Those style of kill switches are generally worthless for preventing theft. When you get an alarm, it becomes redundant so generally they just take them out. It cuts the starter wire at the same spot that the alarm cuts the starter wire.

It's not the same as the immobilizers that came factory on late model Integras and other model of cars ie Ford PATS and Chevrolets. These are slightly more effective at preventing theft. Yet the Integra is the #1 most stolen vehicle over 5 years running so clearly they are not good enough.

For any kind of kill switch to be effective, both the switch itself must be completely hidden, and the start interrupt connections be hidden. Those chips etc are installed in plain view and they cut the starter at the ignition harness. In many ways, they make the car EASIER to steal.