In Car Entertainment & Security
By baller
#52816 Hey ya'll. I got a 95 civic hatchback and it has no speakers in the back or anything. So basically I checked it out and theres not even any wires. Now I'm wondering if I could put the wires in myself or should I just have it professionaly done? I'm also planning on putting two 12" subs in the back so I need to be able to hook up an amp in the back as well.

Oh and I got an aftermarket stereo and I was told that it's really hard to take out the old one and put the new one in. So if anyone has any experience to share with me that would be great.

Thanks alot.
By asianrob
#52822 i'm not being an ass but you didnt look hard enough

all civics are prewired for rear speakers you need to dig down to the wire and you'll see the connectors

its not hard to take out a radio

take out the console and unbolt ( if it is there) the 10mm bolt(i think) or unscrew it either or and then push it from behind and it will come out
By Graham
#52867 Mine had the wiring for the back speakers but its not original, its not part of the loom - looks like someones just plugged it into the headunit then wrapped it around EVERYTHING and then run it to the back of the car - im gonna rip it out and do it properly i think :lol:

If its a standard radio in your car you need to get 2 wee tools that remove them, they're U shaped, you'll be able to get them at any audio shop!!

You'll need to buy a wiring kit for the amps though but again, you can get them from audio shops. Just go ask the people there, they should be able to recommend something suitable 8)
By yashep
baller wrote:-I checked it out and theres not even any wires.

-I was told that it's really hard to take out the old one

-should I just have it professionaly done?

You ask and you answer, just take it to a pro and let them do all of the work. That way you wont regret anything down the road. I've seen cars burn up from bad wires and lots of blown fuses. let a pro do it.
By BAXTER_EJ1
#52879 Nothing wrong with trying something yourself and learning, but wiring can be a real PITA if you do it wrong.

You could watch them do your car audio installation and ask them questions as they go, any quality shop shouldn't mind that.

My stock was just bolted in, very easy to remove yourself.

When it comes to putting in Amps and Subs unless you know someone in the business or have done it yourself for a while I'd leave it to the pros. They need to use the right gauge of wire and select the right locations and wire distances, you wouldn't want to blow an amp or sub at the expense of trying to do it yourself.
By suspendedHatch
#53290 I've seen way too many screwed up Hondas from DIY'ers who don't have the tools or the inclination to do it right.

I've seen professionals screw up cars too. Make sure to ask them if they have insurance to cover any possible damage. Circuit City and Best Buy do. A lot of the smaller mom and pop shops are very friendly to take your money, and then they never want to see you again if you have any issues.
By Matt.M
suspendedHatch wrote:I've seen way too many screwed up Hondas from DIY'ers who don't have the tools or the inclination to do it right.

I've seen professionals screw up cars too. Make sure to ask them if they have insurance to cover any possible damage. Circuit City and Best Buy do. A lot of the smaller mom and pop shops are very friendly to take your money, and then they never want to see you again if you have any issues.

I'm not sure about where you're from, but here if a shop is paid to do something and it messes up because they didn't do it right down the road, it's comming out of their pocket and not yours.

It's a sue-happy society these days. Another reason I'm going for Law Enforcement next year instead of using my Autobody Repair diploma I already have. I'll just use it in my free time :P
By sdots
#75165 Stereo's aren't hard at all in my opinion if you have common sense then you will be O.K. the more of a perfectionist you are with your car the better you should logically conduct the job at hand.

What make is the aftermarket stereo in your car?
If it is a pioneer, alpine or any other decent brand than you can get the removal pins from ebay for a few dollars.

Wiring the rear speakers will involve some time.
Depending on what speakers you will instal in the back can also determine what sort of wiring you should be using. You will need plenty of audio wire to route the wires comfortably how you want it. Personally I run them down each side of the car, left for your left rear and right for your right rear.

With an ISO harness, connected to your main harness, more than likely it indicates which wire is for what speaker, all you need to do is splice into the ISO harnesses wires and connect speakers up correspondingly.

Just remember to disconnect your positive battery terminal to not blow any fuses, so it's not easy to blow any fuses really :)
By sdots
#75166 Also for your sub and amp, you have two options of where to run your power cable from, either through the firewall if you have any blanking seals then you can run them through these, creating a small X splice into the rubber, will let you thread the wire through while also keeping it quite well sealed from moisture.

or from the battery terminal run it under your front wing and into the car near your door hinge. I'd recommend the first one as it keeps everything nice and clean.
By Macster
#75318 i myself have installed all of my sound sytems in the past 3 cars ive owned i dont think its very hard just takes time the first one i did was a cx hatch and that did not have wires to the back only si dx lx & ex have rear speakers. but if you choose to do it yourself just research on the internet before you start just a couple pointers make sure the inline fuse on the power wire for the amp is close to the battery or you will mess things up if the wires short. and best buy sells rockford fosgate wiring kits for like a 100$
By suspendedHatch
sdots wrote:or from the battery terminal run it under your front wing and into the car near your door hinge. I'd recommend the first one as it keeps everything nice and clean.

NO do not do this! This is dangerous and you can burn your car to the ground. Don't rely on those cheap, over rated amp-kit fuses to keep your car safe. Take every precaution and do the install correctly or pay a professional.

Use a factory grommet as stated or carefully drill your own hole and insert a grommet.
By sdots
suspendedHatch wrote:
sdots wrote:or from the battery terminal run it under your front wing and into the car near your door hinge. I'd recommend the first one as it keeps everything nice and clean.

NO do not do this! This is dangerous and you can burn your car to the ground. Don't rely on those cheap, over rated amp-kit fuses to keep your car safe. Take every precaution and do the install correctly or pay a professional.

Use a factory grommet as stated or carefully drill your own hole and insert a grommet.

I always install mine through the firewall however I wasn't aware this was unsafe as my friend has installed his wiring like this for years on end and without an issue at all. What's unsafe about it just out of curiosity? would be nice to know. thanks
By EG-fred1021
#118721 wiring through the firewall is safe. i have worked for a pro audio company and they always do this.

the only way a car can burn down is due to the power cable being improperly shielded or not of a heavy enough gauge and then it would need to short and burn through to a fuel line or catch the seats to be a major problem.(yes Ive seen that happen but the guy had used some old speaker wire for his amp power cable!)

diy it.
take your time get the right wiring kit for your amp and battery power and make sure u use good connectors and tape any areas that may rub or have been spliced or joined.
By evil-G-nius
#118745 agreed with the guys...if you have any reservations about this project, take it to a professional. As stated it will be warrantied basically. If they screw it up, they have to go back and fix it. Out of curiosity..why would you want 2 12" in a hatch? You trying to go deaf? LOL

For real all you need is one good 12" or even a 10" and a solid, powerful amp with good wiring. With a hatch thats all you really need, trust me it will be loud as hell and a lot lighter in weight...just a thought
By Sentry
#118775 Might as well ask while this is bumped.

I can't find the rear speaker wires. I can feel two wires way down there but they're secured to something pretty good and I don't want to rip them out if they're part of a loom.