In Car Entertainment & Security
By BAXTER_EJ1
#43648 Here's my deal: I want to power 4 component speaker systems; 4 tweeters and 4 small subs.

These came with crossovers, so I'm not sure if it's best to use them or to use an amp with built-in crossovers, which is going to provide more power?

In the future I'm going to want to add a subwoofer, so I think that means I want a 5 channel amplifier? In terms of impedence though I'm a real noob, I'm not sure what I need to go with.

Any information you can provide is much appreciated, and I can give more info if needed. I have Phoenix Gold speakers all around, so I'm looking at a PG amp as well. I have a reputable store on Ebay that I'm looking at buying from.
By BAXTER_EJ1
#43650 Sorry, also, for my rear deck I'm thinking of going the component route and putting two 5.25" subs in the factory location and then custom mounting some tweeters into the rear deck itself beside the housings.

From what I understand you're going to get a better sound quality and power from a component system than a two or three way speaker, am I correct? I think the fabrication needed to mount the tweeters would be minimal and it's always reversable by getting a new rear deck. Input?

This is the amp I had my eye on, 4 channel + 1 mono for a possible sub in the future. Being honest with me, is it going to give me a noticeable power increase? I'm not looking to enter sound competitions or anything so I'm not looking at spending $3Gs on car electronics, but I want a mid-level amp that's going to be able to give me a noticeable power increase.

Phoenix Gold Amp
By 3lue by u
#43668 Sounds good but I dont think 900 watts will be enough. It depends on what sub you go with.
By BAXTER_EJ1
#43679 Should I possibly look at a 4 channel Amp for speakers and then later get a mono amp for the sub alone?

If I went that route, I assume I'd have to wire the amp for the sub straight to the head unit, which would mean ripping it all apart again and re-wiring.

I guess it's not that big of a deal, but then should I get a 4 channel with built in crossovers to handle 4 speakers and 4 tweeters or an amp without crossovers and use my supplied ones? What will give more power to the speakers?
By asianrob
#43689 hook them up and see what sounds better you speakers with cross overs or hooked up to the amp? i had at one point all four speakers hooked up to a 4 channal amp and another amp for the sub right now i have MTX front components with the cross over and 3 way in the back and a Rockford fosgate 800 series for my sub (2 10 JL)
By BAXTER_EJ1
#43733 Thanks for the insight, knowing what other people have tried helps me decide what I want to try.

In terms of impedence though, I'm a total noob, I have no idea to go with 1 ohm, 2 ohm or 4 ohm, or even what the fuck the differences are and if I NEED to choose a certain one based on my speakers? :?
By BAXTER_EJ1
#43740 Question, these are the speakers I have for the front, but in 6.5", and the ones I'm thinking of also getting for the rear.

They are 60 watt RMS and 120 watt peak.

Component Speakers

Now here's the amp I'm looking at, 1000 Watt peak, 250 X 4 @ 2 ohm and 150 X 4 @ 4ohm.

Amp

They don't give RMS rating, but you could probably safely assume they are 1/2 of the peak. First of all, what's the difference at running at 2 ohm or 4 ohm and how is 2 ohm better? :?

Second, I'm worried that with 120 watt peak, the amp giving out 150 peak and the head unit approx. 30 or so, do I run ANY risk of blowing these if cranked to the max? If the amp is say, 75rms and the h/u is 30 that totals 105, which is still below the speakers peak...but I'm just trying to confirm that there is a possibility of overloading them, and how can I avoid doing that? :lol:

Sorry I'm such a noob at all of these things.

Well after doing some more reading, all of my speakers are 4 ohm, so I think that means I can run them on either 4 ohm or 2 ohm from the amp, but 4 ohm is going to have less distortion and more clairty? lol.
By sqsi
#44113 Do components in the front coaxial in the back. Components in the back is a waste. Concentrate on your front sound stage. I ran a 4 channel for just my front components and a second amp for the rears. Then get a seperate Monoblock amp for your sub(s)