In Car Entertainment & Security
By panic989
#337514 So I've been wanting to upgrade the door speakers in my 93 cx hatch. I'm curious as to what size the speakers are in the door. If I remember correctly they are 6 inch rounds. I have some cheapo speakers I got for free from a friend but it's time for something new and clearer. I would like something with a separate tweeter from the speaker itself. And where can I find the little tweeter covers that I can run in either my door or the little triangle cover where the mirrors are? Can anyone recommend anything? I don't need anything too bassy because I will be running a sub as well.
By rustyrex
#337550 I got the OEM tweeter pods off eBay. The front speakers are 6.5" with a 1" OEM tweeter for the pods. I have MB Quart midbass in the door, bandpassed at 150htz-400htz and Selenium titanium 1.25" tweeters in the pods crossed at 7500htz and up. This set up is extremely expensive buy sounds amazing. A decent component set is $150-$200 though.
By panic989
#337551 So a 6.5 inch speaker will fit in the door? What about cutting? Any kind of cutting needed to make them fit.
By rustyrex
#337552 Depends on the depth of the speaker. You might have to cut the actual piece the speaker screws into which is no big deal.
By HeikDiesel
#337566 I had to dremel the pieces off the middle where it has slits. Depends how big of a magnet the speaker has
By panic989
#337569 Ok cool. I'm going to a junk yard today. Gonna see if I can pull some bose speakers our of an Audi a8. :thumb:
By rustyrex
#337586 They will sound like shit. 99% of Bose or other high end factory systems are amplified and use specific crossovers and are usually a weird ohm.
By panic989
#337587 Will they? My buddy has an a4 with the bose system in it and it sounds amazing. The Audi speakers have the crossover built into the speaker themselves. Would that be enough or would I have to take the amp too from the Audi?

I'm not new to the stereo world but I'm relatively new to the mid and tweeter world. I've always just kinda dealt with amps and subs, so the whole component and coaxial speaker thing is a learning experience at this point.

I also started reading another forum about the Mazda 3 and those dudes were really unhappy with their bose speakers... I may rethink the speakers. Lol
By rustyrex
#337588 Personally I look at Bose the way I have always looked at jl. Way overpriced and underperforming. If the cross overs are built it that will be a huge help buy you will probably need a amp unles the ohms are lower than 2. Try to find a older Lexus or range rover. Mark levinston sound systems are amazing.
By panic989
#337589 I have always loved the sound quality of bose personally but I can completely agree with you on being over priced. They are kind of ridiculous. I started looking at some infinity speakers which a lot of people seem happy with. I'll look up the mark levinston sound systems right now.
By panic989
#337590 It seems to me like the only way to get some mark levinson car speakers is to find a wrecked Lexus because you can't buy them on their own. At least I couldn't find any. Lol
By 93sihatchguy
#337720 I fit Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1's into my front doors, but I had to cut the stock basket to allow the magnets to fit through. Awesome sounding components by the way....
By panic989
#337876 I ended up finding a set of infinity reference series that I really like. Ended up paying just over 20 bucks for them at the junkyard with a military discount so I cant complain. Plus they sound a thousand times better than the old wore out pioneers I had in there. They were really bad. on the passenger side the cone was almost completely split from the foam surround. lol
By 93sihatchguy
#337922 Glad to hear you got things squared away.