In Car Entertainment & Security
By nd1983
#334818 so like the title say i'm thinking of installing atleast 1 in my dash to charge my cell phone and GPS unit on.

I was wondering if anyone else has done this, or have advice or where to put it.

I'm going to get power from a Power window fuse, as it has power only when the key is in run. unless i can find a fuse that works in acc & run.
By TrailerTrash
nd1983 wrote:unless i can find a fuse that works in acc & run.

radio
By rustyrex
#334845 Windshield wiper as well.

A better option than any is to use the remote turn on lead from you radio if its aftermarket.
By nd1983
TrailerTrash wrote:
nd1983 wrote:unless i can find a fuse that works in acc & run.

radio

i didn't think of grabbing that fuse.. good idea.

but has anyone else tried it yet? i'm not new to installing USB ports with PCs jut not in a car yet.
By rustyrex
#334868 I've done it before. The easiest way I've found is to get a USB extension cable and cut off the female end. That way you already have shielded wires that are soldered in place and the whole thing is protected. I wire a Bosch style relay into the radio ground, power and remote wires. That way its all in one area and there's no tapping into another circuit.
By rustyrex
#334869 I've done it before. The easiest way I've found is to get a USB extension cable and cut off the female end. That way you already have shielded wires that are soldered in place and the whole thing is protected. I wire a Bosch style relay into the radio ground, power and remote wires. That way its all in one area and there's no tapping into another circuit.
By nd1983
rustyrex wrote:I've done it before. The easiest way I've found is to get a USB extension cable and cut off the female end. That way you already have shielded wires that are soldered in place and the whole thing is protected. I wire a Bosch style relay into the radio ground, power and remote wires. That way its all in one area and there's no tapping into another circuit.

extention wire i agree. but i'm lost with the relay. for my PC setups i just open a 2port USB hub and wire from there, but never to a non USB setup...

got a wiring diagram pic?
By rustyrex
#334897 No I don't sorry. Do you know how to wire a relay? If so you just use the relay to trigger the usb to turn on.
By nd1983
rustyrex wrote:No I don't sorry. Do you know how to wire a relay? If so you just use the relay to trigger the usb to turn on.

i was just going to rip apart a 1A cig charger and wire it that way.

but yea i have a basic idea of wiring a relay. Thanks
By Flatland_EG
#334956 THIS! $10 on Amazon :D

At the very least you could gut it and hard wire it, it has to go from 12v to 5v so there has to be a resistor inside. :thumb:
You could probably even mount the face of the original product right on the dash for a nice clean look. 8)
By HeikDiesel
#334958 Why not use the relayed and fused ports in the fuse panel already set up for accessories like fogs. Just check them with a meter to make sure one is powered for accessory and on. There should be 4-5 of them at the top of the fuse block under the dash. Use a single spade connector and ground the usb charger to chassis and you should be good to go.
By nd1983
Flatland_EG wrote:THIS! $10 on Amazon :D
At the very least you could gut it and hard wire it, it has to go from 12v to 5v so there has to be a resistor inside. :thumb:
You could probably even mount the face of the original product right on the dash for a nice clean look. 8)

i'm thinking i'm going to do that. i have a few 1A sitting around i don't use (my phone came with a 2A). And i'm not sure how i'd convert from 12v to 5v and from 10A to 2A without gutting one.

HeikDiesel wrote:Why not use the relayed and fused ports in the fuse panel already set up for accessories like fogs. Just check them with a meter to make sure one is powered for accessory and on. There should be 4-5 of them at the top of the fuse block under the dash. Use a single spade connector and ground the usb charger to chassis and you should be good to go.

I'd wanna use a fused port from the interior fuse box, and the fog light isn't available on my interior box. Would the Moonroof, or just the front power window fuse, work?
By HeikDiesel
#335001 Well I have fogs on my eg6 and there was another port that I used for my widband that was set up the way that you want. I'll take a picture tonight of where I have it hooked in
By suspendedHatch
HeikDiesel wrote:Why not use the relayed and fused ports in the fuse panel already set up for accessories like fogs. Just check them with a meter to make sure one is powered for accessory and on. There should be 4-5 of them at the top of the fuse block under the dash. Use a single spade connector and ground the usb charger to chassis and you should be good to go.

This.
Don't tap off an existing circuit.
The pinouts for the option outputs are here: http://www.civic-eg.com/causeforalarm/e ... ox_outputs
By nd1983
suspendedHatch wrote:

This.
Don't tap off an existing circuit.
The pinouts for the option outputs are here: http://www.civic-eg.com/causeforalarm/e ... ox_outputs

thats what i did. grabbed an open slot and connected a 12V 2A . works ok until i get a USB header to perma install