In Car Entertainment & Security
By MarkCayabyab
#251320 so i've read up about this and there's a couple of things i don't get. If you're suppose to take out the black wire, where do you put it? and how is the switch suppose to work if you're going to have an empty slot in the main relay? i don't understand the wiring and how you're going to put the switch into the main relay harness.
By LaosToaster
#251766 ur not suppose to completly remove the black wire(depinning it).the black wire thats from the main relay is ur ground wire and its grounded somehwere under ur dash board. cut it and ur not going anywhere. all u gotta do is add a rocker switch in that black wire between the main relay and the ground. make sure ur switch has 20 amps( im not too sure how much minimum amps is safe). im currently working on a main relay kill switch and mine amp rating on it i think is 20.

heres a diagram i made. just pay attention to the single switch. pretend the PLUS sign is the main relay and the other end is the ground(ground symbol drawn)

so basically for a kill switch, u dont remove any wires, u just add a switch in between the circuit, switching the switch to ON completes the circuit, switching it to OFF creates an open loop meaning ur circuit is not complete resulting in ur main relay not working at all. pretty simple. but theives know all this allready and if they find out u put a switch in between ur black wire but they cant reach ur switch somehow all they can do is cut ur black wire from the main relay and ground it themselves and there goes ur ride.

i hope i have cleared a couple things about kill switches :thumb:

off topic: this might be freaky for u but i kno who u are LOL, u might not know me at all, i kno ur cousin whitley 8)

EDIT: i see that ur pretty new to the car scene, heres something i HIGHLLY HIGHLY RECOMMEND, it will probably answer almost all ur questions i guaranttee it.

here go buy this book:

By MarkCayabyab
#251831 WOAH small world! Hahahah now I finally can talk to someone about cars!

The thing is that I got a main relay harness from the junk yard so I dont know how to wire it. So how Do you know if your switch has 20 amps?

Thane man you're Hella helpful!
By LaosToaster
chrono404 wrote:Another good resource:
http://causeforalarm.thecarthing.com/ve ... index.html

yes that site is where i ALWAYS go to when it comes to security.

as far as the switch when u buy one at an auto store it should tell u what amperage it is. there are some heavy duty ones that are metal but those would be difficult to hide. buy the smallest one possible but with a good amp rating( sorry i dont kno whats the minimum). u should post up some pics of the underside of ur dashboard we all can help u figure out how to wire up ur main relay harness.

or someone else will chime in with some diagrams (hint hint) :D
if u plan on messing with electrical stuff

EDIT: heres a start

Do u also have the main relay plug with the wires on them with the main relay when u went to the junkyard? or u just took the main relay only?

if ur gonna do this urself u gotta get that manual it has all the wiring schematics and wire colors and whatnot. if u dont kno how to read it just look at it and study it, i had no idea wth i was lookin at when i first started but then i picked up slowly now i can read it with no problem. its all a learning process its gonna be very useful in the future :thumb:
By MarkCayabyab
#251966 i actually came across that site and that's where i got the idea of getting the main relay harness.

Yes i do have the main relay plug with wires. thanks LaosToaster you've been really helpful. i just don't know how everything connects. like which wire goes to which
By LaosToaster
#251988 http://causeforalarm.thecarthing.com/basics/index.html

Before u tackle any electrical job ur gonna needa buy some tools. Its all listed on the website I posted :thumb:

Hooking up the wires to the ecu u would have to crimp an ecu pin to the end of the wire, or my way, jus find an ecu plug with wires and cut it off but leave some length. All the wires inside the plug are already crimp with an ecu pin. But this way ur gonna have to learn how to depin the wires from the plug, after u have done that just splice the two ends (main relay wire and ecu wire) and twist them together and solder them together then wrap them up with electrical tape. There are several ways to securely connect to wire but soldering is the most effective but time consuming.

Connecting the fuel pump wire would be finding the fuel pump wire, I forgot I think its green/yellow? Not sure ur gonna have to look in the manual it will tell u. Do the same thing just splice the two ends and connect them with solder.

For the ignition wire I haven't fucked with those yet so I wouldn't kno lol

But yea gotta get that manual man it will tell u exactly where the wires go to, I can't explain any better than the manual lol. It'll be the best $25 uve ever spent, go check out several auto stores some of them don't carry helms manuals, and make sure its HELMS not anything else, just like the picture shown in the above post. Good luck

:thumb:
By suspendedHatch
#252342 I don't understand the point of having multiple switches. It just makes your switches more obvious. Once they're found, it's over. Doesn't matter if you have one or ten. Just ground the wire between the switch and the relay. Or just cut the wire going in and going out and join them bypassing the switches.

You don't need a 20A switch. The main relay ground is low current. That's one of the advantages of doing this.

If the method in my website is complicated, then just take the black wire, cut it, and put the switch inline with it. Some cars have two black wires. Cut them and join them at each end of the switch.

The reason for my method is to keep the stock wiring intact and make the whole thing easily reversible.
By LaosToaster
suspendedHatch wrote:I don't understand the point of having multiple switches. It just makes your switches more obvious. Once they're found, it's over. Doesn't matter if you have one or ten. Just ground the wire between the switch and the relay. Or just cut the wire going in and going out and join them bypassing the switches.

You don't need a 20A switch. The main relay ground is low current. That's one of the advantages of doing this.

If the method in my website is complicated, then just take the black wire, cut it, and put the switch inline with it. Some cars have two black wires. Cut them and join them at each end of the switch.

The reason for my method is to keep the stock wiring intact and make the whole thing easily reversible.

Haha I was waiting for u to post on here, I was trying to say something like that but I can't to it better than u :thumb: