In Car Entertainment & Security
By Racing Rice
#26770 Apparently some Del Sol's do not come equiped with rear speakers or the rear mounts for them. Honda wants atleast $35 per side for mounts. I found one pair on ebay with a buy now of $32 after shipping, but I'm a cheap ass and opted to try to fab my own. Here's what I did:

- I had an old gutter laying around so I took tin snips and cut a piece off large enough for two 6.5 speakers.

- I took a rubber mallot and a 2x4 and pounded the gutter flat.

- Next I took the ring pattern from the box and traced out the pattern for the speaker including 4 tabs that will be bent over the back of the Del Sol rear speaker cover.

- Using tin snips, a drill, and a dremel, I cut drilled and sanded the metal ring into shape.

- Slide your speaker into the ring to ensure fitment. If everything fits mark your speaker mount holes and drill them out with a small bit.

- Next mount your speaker to the ring using the supplied screws and clips.

- This is what the back of the Del Sol speaker mount looks like before you install the speaker and mount.

- Notice how the cover has a round lip going around it. That is what you will mount the speaker to.

- Set the speaker and mount over the ring and bend your tabs around the cover lip.

- Drill holes in the mount and cover lip.

- Screw the mount to the cover lip. I bought #10-3/4 screws from walmart 13 for $.83 they work perfectly. ( I took off the front cover and ensured that I had plenty of clearance between the screws and the speaker surrounds. Putting a hole in your new speakers would suck! 1/2 long screws would probably be a little better. I had to use some washers to give my self a little extra room on one screw.)

Here's what the final product looks like, not the prettiest thing ever but it's rock solid and sounds great.

As you can see, the 6.5" speaker fits perfectly! Mine are Pioneer, but I'm sure any brand would be just fine. They are a great improvement over nothing at all. Mounting this way allows for a lot more clearance room for speakers with larger magnets. This gives you a better selection in speakers as well. :thumb:
By teal_dx
#26773 awesome writeup! I love DIY jobs done with what material you can find laying around for free :lol:

Looks like the previous owner has 6x9's drilled in through the front?
By Racing Rice
teal_dx wrote:awesome writeup! I love DIY jobs done with what material you can find laying around for free :lol:

Looks like the previous owner has 6x9's drilled in through the front?

Nah, those 4 holes were the mounting holes for the OEM grill covers. I think the previous owner of my car had 6x9 boxes or something mounted in the rear storage compartments behind the seat. That's where the speaker wire he ran was coming out to. :eh: :lol: