In Car Entertainment & Security
By g3tyourmindright
#207931 im 19 just bought my first car ,95 ex coupe , and the first thing i want to do is have a decent system becaust it came with stock radio ,so im in need of a lot of help. .which speakers are the best for the front doors and which ones for the back ? or does it make a difference ? ? and which head unit should i use ?? as for speakers i was looking online and came across these" PYRAMID-6-inch--CHROME-WOOFER-300W " are those any good ? and where would those go . . ?
.. i dont have an amp or anything im not planning on buyin one yet i just want a simple set up for now bcus im trying to get the car painted 1st and get some wheels then the engine etc etc . . so these would go in the back right ? excuse my n00b-ness im learning as im going . so any help would be greatly appreciated , thanks !! links would be the bestttttttt
By Classiccarsrule85
#207941 heres how id go about it i would invest in a nice pioneer deck ( ive had a couple andstill have most of them would have all if they didnt leave with the car i installed them in....plus depending on what you plan on doing its a nice brand that allows fr upgrades later on.....

but it also depends on the model and price you pay for the deck.....a walmart 50$ deck isnt going to compare to a nice 200+ deck

next speakers im not really sure if i prefer one brand over the otehrs mainly just kenwood, pioneer, jensen try and stay away from cheapy brands like roadmaster, or pyramid....they wont last and they look like poop

and finally for the boom
Dual is what my girls running i got two and installed them in my volvo and then blew one up for fun idk y i was stupid anyhow its lasted awhile however my first sub and the one i wish i still had where these 12in pioneers so nice and clear sounding....

now with subs ther is a max rating lets say 500w max or something like that you should get an amp that compliments this rating so if you have a 500w sub id go for a 4-500w amp mono style, since amplifyers can be bridged mono or non bridgable dual circuit etc.....

bridgable -to reach peak power out put to one sub you can connect the leads in a certain orientation birdgeing the power

mono-1 output one speaker....
By VerLee24
#207947 i'm running a jvc arsenal with 2 sets of polk db6500 components front and rear.

the best website i think for car audio would be crutchfield.com. they let you select your car so you know what fits and when you purchase from them they include all of the installation hardware and instructions.
By 92civic_vx
#207952 if you want 2 get a good deal on audio go to http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/ id stay away from cheap brands as they tend to sound like crap and blow easy. some sound decent at first but they dont last most of the time
By asianrob
#207954 no to bash on the pioneers but i never liked pioneers i've had had crappy ones that never worked or broke. Get an Alpine deck like a CDA 7893 or a good panasonic i have great experiences with both brands.

as far as speakers goes. check out your local swap meet. most of the time you can snag good deals on car audio stuff.

cross fire is a good brand. i would do 2ways in front and 3ways in back. i have a setup like that in my car right now and its nice and clear.

5 1/4 cross fire 2 way speakers (i forgot the model name)

5 1/4 Alpine Type R's in the rear 2 way also.
By Torch_Ind
#207994 stay away from pyramid it's garbage stick to good brands.

pioneer/ alpine/ mtx/ Boston acoustics/ JL audio/ Kicker/ etc..

mainly in a head unit it depends what you are looking for.

if your doing db you will want to find sub outs and high voltage low level outputs decks 5v or greater!

If your doing sq control is everything. time correction front /rear/ sub outputs for external amps. built in crossovers. etc...

some High end sq decks won't even come with high level outputs aka like factory speaker leads you will need external amps in this case.

if you can't get a amplifier don't bother getting subs yet focus on a good head unite and decent front rear speakers.

all in all spend the most on your head unit and make sure you pick up a good one. even if it's used. I sold a few SQ alpine decks in the past that were excellent starter deck. would be better then any wall mart etc.. deck for cheep.

My personal preference for head unit is Alpine but they are costly for a good one with all the options
By suspendedHatch
#207996 Ouch people are recommending Jensen and Dual and then saying "don't get the cheap crap". Jensen, Dual, Insignia... that's the cheap crap.

I've been into car audio for a long time and I even worked in car audio for several years. At first I was an audiophile but then I came down to reality and accepted that IT'S A CAR, it's never going to have home theater sound. It SHOULDN'T anyway, because IT'S A CAR. Especially in our case where it's an 18 year old economical car with a noisy cabin.

On the other hand, buying the cheap crap is just throwing your money away.

The sound quality difference between the cheap crap and the decent crap is huge. However, the sound quality difference between the decent crap and the super expensive equipment (given the compromises inherent in the car) is very small. You can't tell a difference when the engine is running and the car is moving.

So this is what I recommend. Get a Pioneer, Alpine, Eclipse, or Panasonic deck. Look to spend about $300. Each of these brands has $100 offerings but you don't want those. They're crap. Just get a deck with a nice display and with a built-in connection for your mp3 player. Don't bother with HD radio or Satellite.

Next, get some Infinity speakers. There are other great speakers but at this point in time, if you want some high sensitivity speakers (don't require amplification) that sound great, Infinity is on top. Don't go oversized. If you knew how to cleanly install tweeters or you were willing to pay someone who does, then I would recommend components. Or if you had a DC then I would definitely recommend components. But to avoid the headache just get their 2 ways. Dynamat speaker kits are worth the money. The quality of the install has a huge impact on the sound quality.

Remove your rear speakers. They waste power and they degrade sound quality. You have sound waves arriving at your ears at different times which cancels out frequencies and causes weird interactions.

At some point you're going to want some real bass so I recommend getting a ported box. Get a decent box and not some thin, flimsy swap meet box. No dual bandpass crap or anything with plexi. Get some fiberglass resin and coat all the inside edges of the box to seal it up tight forcing all air through the port. Then get a decent sub like Alpine, Kenwood or Infinity. The volume of air and the port size of the box need to match the specs of the sub. Get a decent amp like Alpine or Kenwood. The amp will depend on the RMS of your sub, the number of voice coils and the ohm rating of how you will wire it up. It's best to pay an installer that knows these things.

10inch sub sounds better for fast bass like punk or hardcore, while a 12 pushes more air and at a lower frequency like the artificial bass in Hip Hop.

My favorite sub is a small, square Kicker. They're a bit pricey but they hit hard and sound great for all kinds of music. Their amps are incredible as well.

Avoid Pioneer speakers, Sony anything, Kenwood decks.

Buy.com is pretty cheap but for things you're going to have installed, you should buy it from the installation shop.
By Torch_Ind
suspendedHatch wrote:Ouch people are recommending Jensen and Dual and then saying "don't get the cheap crap". Jensen, Dual, Insignia... that's the cheap crap.

I don't support dual or Jensen!!! garbage!!!

also I'm going to stay away from Kenwood all together to I have melted way to many that have kill other components in my stereo system such as amps and stuff because they just couldn't take it.

other then that suspendedhatch has a lot of really good info for you to start off!!

on a budget I would recommend finding old style Rockford Fosgate amps to cause even there small ones from back in the day will overkill most new stuff put out today. and were very underrated.
By ImThaBean
#208115 ProTip: go to Crutchfield.com and do the "Outfit my car" thing. that'll tell you what fits and what doesn't and where. then see what they have as far as selection, then go and search the other sites recommended for the cheapest price...

The reason I like Crutchfield is cause it lays out ALL you will need to make the system work in your car as far as additional wiring and what not.
By ExCoupe94
#209045 I <3 my 6.5 components and the stock tweeter holders on the ex are easily modified with a dremel for a clean install. noise is the biggest problem in our cars when it comes to the stereo that and the pile 70 amp alt lol. invest in some insulation dynamat if ya got the money but theres other options, somebody on here advised edead looks to have way better prices but u do get what you pay for. if your looking at some awesome speakers just know that some not so great speakers would sound way better with insulation than just the awesome speaks by themselves.
By Dippin_EG
suspendedHatch wrote:Ouch people are recommending Jensen and Dual and then saying "don't get the cheap crap". Jensen, Dual, Insignia... that's the cheap crap.

LMAO, just what i was thinking :lol: