In Car Entertainment & Security
By ExCoupe94
#207184 wondering if i killed my alternator ... did a little upgrade to the stereo and i'd been pullin damn near 140 amps if it was there... long story short im lookin for a high output rebuild kit anyone got any suggestions? (im rockin an ls)
By ExCoupe94
#207287 bump i cant even find oem rebuild kits(nippondenso i aint buyin crap lol) :x
By sqsi
#207399 I just bit the bullet and picked up a 170 amp load boss alternator from alterstart.
By ExCoupe94
#207464 nice website, im blown away by the two year warranty ive seen 90 days and a year but 2? awesome!!! seems like no one is willing to warranty their high output stuffs. i figured i was gonna have to buy a standard alt and just make sure that i toasted it before the warranty was up this seems like a way better option and the prices are awesome!! thanks mang :thumb:
By undeadone069
#218702 i forget what its called but they have a device u can buy anywhere even walmart that makes it where it pulles the energy from it instead of ur batery or altinater. this will also help stop any lights from dimming when your bass hits
By RPGonzos_EJ
#218829 Its a capacitor

And they are measured in farads, there are all kinda of crazy mathematical formulas you can do to correctly optimize the caps size to your systems pull.

I was once told by a audio shop that a "rule of thumb" that they used was 1 farad per 1000W of audio power.

I had a 1.5 farad cap on a HiFonics Brutus 1000 and never had issues with lights dimming or drastic drops of battery voltage.

Just my 2 cents :)
By undeadone069
#218836 thanks for the help rpg i just couldnt remember what they was called
By ExCoupe94
#218837 rockin a 1 farrad cap... wattage wise im doin 2000 supposedly but wattage can be innaccurate in my opinion. i like to measure in amps by adding all the fuses up 30+30+30+40=130 kinda thing but the stock alt puts out 70. the cap WILL fight against sudden losses of power but it doesnt turn a 70a power supply into the MINIMAL requirement of 130a.
wich is why my alt died.
but ever since i put in the high output shits been off the hook! and no loss in hp when i crank the stereo. bumpin and drivin fast! :hehe:
By asianrob
#218853 you can buy the stuff to rebuild your alternator from the dealer.

i had that done. i think all cost 25$ for the materials. i got it rebuilt for free cuz the bro works up there.
By MG6
asianrob wrote:you can buy the stuff to rebuild your alternator from the dealer.

i had that done. i think all cost 25$ for the materials. i got it rebuilt for free cuz the bro works up there.

Really? I didn't know dealers sell parts. I assume most of the time, the coil is the part that needs changing and the wires.
By asianrob
MG6 wrote:
asianrob wrote:you can buy the stuff to rebuild your alternator from the dealer.

Really? I didn't know dealers sell parts. I assume most of the time, the coil is the part that needs changing and the wires.

yeap. should be people in town that can rebuild alt/starters etc.. also.

i forgot what goes out.

but if you have a system in your car and constantly having tons of bass and what not i would just go aftermarket alter that can handle it. or a capacitor
By ohDirka
ExCoupe94 wrote:rockin a 1 farrad cap... wattage wise im doin 2000 supposedly but wattage can be innaccurate in my opinion. i like to measure in amps by adding all the fuses up 30+30+30+40=130 kinda thing but the stock alt puts out 70. the cap WILL fight against sudden losses of power but it doesnt turn a 70a power supply into the MINIMAL requirement of 130a.
wich is why my alt died.
but ever since i put in the high output shits been off the hook! and no loss in hp when i crank the stereo. bumpin and drivin fast! :hehe:

I had heard that too but that was for older cars. with newer vehicles which have way more electronics 1 farrad/ 1000 watts would be the minimum you'd want to run to be safe on the alternator.