In Car Entertainment & Security
By ZactheRipper
#206185 So i got this new car head unit, plugged it all in with this conversion harness and it all works awesome when the engine isin't running, but when it is it gives me loud whine interference from the alternator (or so i've read)

Any fixes for this?

:x
By ExCoupe94
#206233 are you running any amps for your mids or just the new deck?
By ZactheRipper
#206261 It's just a deck on an otherwise stock system with no amps/subs stuff.

It sounds pretty good (as good as 18 year old speakers can be) with the engine off.

Is it a good idea to ground it straight to the battery maybe?

I don't know, this is my first car and the first time i've done any audio stuff
By ExCoupe94
#206263 no need to run a ground wire to the batt just find a suitable spot to drive a self tapping sheet metal screw through some metal behind the pocket. try to avoid spots where anything else might be grounded and fuel lines etc... :hehe:
By ZactheRipper
#206279 I've regrounded the stereo to a bolt on the dash support, had to splice from the premade wiring harness.

It seems to have been reduced but i will report back when i get back from going out tonight.
By ZactheRipper
#206299 Regrounding the car stereo has significantly reduced the alternator whine.

It's only audiable when songs get quiet.

Any more ideas?
By ExCoupe94
#206341 maybe try running a dedicated hot wire directly to the battery? just remember to fuse it near the batt. to my knowlege the only other things that could be the culprit is a bad battery no longer filtering noise from the alternator, or a bad rectifier on your alternator creating excessive noise.
By ZactheRipper
#206409 The most recently replaced items on the car are the battery and the alternator.

Done in the past year or so by the previous owners.

How would i run a line right to the battery while still having the whole auto turn off/on with the key turn?
By Coplies
#206411 Well you could use a relay and the #1 auxiliary connector on your fuse box for the low current switch
By suspendedHatch
#206442 Could also be a bad deck. Occasionally they're bad right out of the box.

The fact that the alternator and battery were recently replaced by the previous owner does not rule them out. It makes them MORE suspect. Cheaply rebuilt alternators often have bad regulators on them. On occasion, I've had to exchange Autozone alternators several times to get one that was good. And guess what, the parts guy put my bad one right back on the shelf! Now I go to the junkyard.

Also, a brand new battery if allowed to go flat just once, will lose HALF of it's ability to filter your alternators noisy charge (and it cuts it's lifespan in half).

Maybe the previous owner replaced a good battery and the new one went dead. Then replaced the alternator and recharged the battery.

Car stereos have a constant 12v memory connection and an accessory 12v connection that turns them on when the key is on. The constant is the white/blue on the car side which is yellow aftermarket on the adapter harness side. IF YOU ARE GOING TO RUN A NEW WIRE, MAKE SURE THAT YOU USE A GROMMET TO PASS THROUGH THE FIREWALL PROPERLY and of course to fuse the wire near the battery as previously mentioned. You can connect it to the ring terminal in the under dash fuse box where the alternator and starter are connected. You could run it to the under dash fuse box output, but this would be rather pointless since that is where the wire you are replacing runs to. Also, most of those option outputs are tied into other circuits.
By Torch_Ind
#206477 check your main grounds to "if you haven't already" that go from the battery to the frame/body of the car and make sure there not green!!

but I also agree that it could be the alt has a bad/cheep diode pack in the alt
By ZactheRipper
#208118 Just figured out what it was, a ground loop thanks to the aerial.

So i taped one antenna plug contact surface and it still picks up radio perfectly, but without any alternator whine to speak of.

Although it doesn't pick up AM any more, but who listens to that?
By ZactheRipper
#208282 Another question, just so i dont need to make another thread

I pulled this speaker out cos it isin't working, so i figured i better buy 4 new ones to go with my new, whine free, deck.

How big is it, from one side to the other it measures at 6.25 inches, which is kinda retarded since the sizes go from 6 - 6.5

Is it a 6 or a 6.5, which would fit?
By Torch_Ind
#208404 I can't read the tape pic to fussy but prob 6.5
By ExCoupe94
#209046 6.5 speaks fit like a dream long as they come with an adapter plate,they typically do... and remember components ftw :thumb: