In Car Entertainment & Security
By dro21
#183542 ok i was looking at viper website and found the Viper 211HV 1-Way Keyless Entry System and it states that u can open ur doors with the
remote and it even allows u to open/close ur doors even if ur car doesnt have power door locks. now my question is it true can i just buy it and it'll give let me open and close the doors even if dont have power door locks.
By dro21
suspendedHatch wrote:You'll need to add actuators.
http://causeforalarm.thecarthing.com/ac ... index.html

Standalone keyless systems are a waste of money when you can just buy an alarm. Viper 350 is a good basic alarm.

Well i get tired of having to open the door for ppl everytime im going somewhere.....if i found an alarm with keyless entry system for a reasonable price id get it.
By dro21
suspendedHatch wrote:You'll need to add actuators.
http://causeforalarm.thecarthing.com/ac ... index.html

Standalone keyless systems are a waste of money when you can just buy an alarm. Viper 350 is a good basic alarm.
Last edited by dro21 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
By {ikon}EM1
#183814 I think u do need power locks to do it... I got a viper model 7501 but wit a 2way pager and I love it... it has a bunch of shit that I don't really need like turbotimer, remote start, rear defroster starter and a lot more... but to be honest I only use it to lock the car and that's it... it came wit hood pins and pressure sensors...
By dro21
{ikon}EM1 wrote:I think u do need power locks to do it... I got a viper model 7501 but wit a 2way pager and I love it... it has a bunch of shit that I don't really need like turbotimer, remote start, rear defroster starter and a lot more... but to be honest I only use it to lock the car and that's it... it came wit hood pins and pressure sensors...

naw i already looked into it thx to suspendedhatch you need actuators...im kinda thinking on getting an alarm now instead of a keyless..PPl on the streets are getting too close to look at it. if you know what i mean :hehe: :eh:
By suspendedHatch
#183870 Honda w/out an alarm is a soon-to-be-stolen Honda.

I agree with you man. I've added actuators to every single car I've ever owned that had manual locks. I even add a trunk actuator. My wife absolutely loves hers to death. She has an 01 Civic and the trunk is spring loaded, so it really jumps up when you activate it. Older Civics and Integras you have to lift it by hand. But they do sell the spring kits more commonly used on door poppers.
By dro21
suspendedHatch wrote:Honda w/out an alarm is a soon-to-be-stolen Honda.

I agree with you man. I've added actuators to every single car I've ever owned that had manual locks. I even add a trunk actuator. My wife absolutely loves hers to death. She has an 01 Civic and the trunk is spring loaded, so it really jumps up when you activate it. Older Civics and Integras you have to lift it by hand. But they do sell the spring kits more commonly used on door poppers.

To bad u dont live in cali or u would of been the first person to ask if u would help me out
By nickbrungard
#183957 Make sure to fuse the power wires that you are running into the doors for the actuators. Inside the car before entering the door jams. Ive trained many an installer that thought they understood electronics till they attempted reversing polarty actuators. You can easily smoke your keyless/alarm module. Even worse if you do it wrong or a wire rubs bare down the road you will short 12volts to ground and the wire from source to short will basicly turn into a welding rod. Not pretty. Could start a fire.
By dro21
nickbrungard wrote:Make sure to fuse the power wires that you are running into the doors for the actuators. Inside the car before entering the door jams. Ive trained many an installer that thought they understood electronics till they attempted reversing polarty actuators. You can easily smoke your keyless/alarm module. Even worse if you do it wrong or a wire rubs bare down the road you will short 12volts to ground and the wire from source to short will basicly turn into a welding rod. Not pretty. Could start a fire.

for some reason i phased out everything u wrote and only paid attention to the "could start a fire" :shock:..........i think im gonna let the pros install with what ever i decide to go with..thx for the beware info btw :thumb:
By nickbrungard
#183964 I figured i would let my learning the hard way be enough. These wires i mentioned were in my hand when i was testing a new installers work. luckly the car didn't burn down but it did burn the sh%t out of my hand. Having actuators installed professionally can be expensive. I would go to a shop that does them and ask if you can speak with the installer that would be doing. Then if his boss aint around bribe him with a case of beer and some cash to do it on the side. Worth a shot.
By EJ1-danny
#183967 I got the viper 5901 it's awsome and I got it for dirt cheap I love my Bestbuy discount :)
By dro21
EJ1-danny wrote:I got the viper 5901 it's awsome and I got it for dirt cheap I love my Bestbuy discount :)

Hey man nobody likes a show off......so how about you get me a alarm with ur bestbuy discount :D
By suspendedHatch
#184079 Both actuator wires are normally grounded. To lock, it sends a power pulse through one wire. To unlock, it sends a power pulse through the other wire. It's a very short duration pulse. Not very much current. It's not constant power. If the insulation rubs through (this is why you use a grommet, preferably the factory grommet), nothing at all will happen until you arm or disarm the alarm, and then the power will just go straight to ground for that brief pulse. You'll know cuz your power door locks wont work. This will not fry the alarm or burn your car down. I have seen many things that will fry electronics and burn cars down, and this is not one of them.

I have fixed many installs (other people's work of course) where a screw for a speaker or some cut sheet metal or something grounded one of the actuator wires. Simply fix the problem and the keyless works again.

BTW, the power source to the door lock actuators is already fused. This is downstream of your actuator wires. In fact, that fuse rarely blows when one of the actuator wires is shorted and that just goes to show you how little current we're talking about here.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with fusing the actuator wires and I wont criticize someone for being overly careful. But I always feel obligated to correct bad info in these forums. I personally would never bother to fuse them and you will never see that in my write-ups, except for the constant power to the relays... constant power ALWAYS needs to be fused.

I would recommend a professional mainly because the complication of wiring the double relays and the difficulty of mounting the actuators just right. It requires cutting the sheet metal in many instances and aligning the rod to the movement of your factory lock rod just right. But there are many people that can do it on there own by following my write-ups.
By suspendedHatch
dro21 wrote:To bad u dont live in cali or u would of been the first person to ask if u would help me out

Yeah that's why I moved to the middle of nowhere! San Diego is too near LA which is full of Honda people.

I haven't taken an install in 2-3 years. I'm a student graphic designer now.