In Car Entertainment & Security
By ExCoupe94
#175376 so i just uprgaded my stereo t a full 2000 watts + however it seems like when im bumpin my car loses hp like crazy i do have a 1 farad cap perhaps its not enough, my lights are dimming... again. lol anyone else run into this problem? any suggestions? besides turning it down? :P
By edcortez9
#175384 consider a optima yellow to battery it is meant for music
By marquisdee1018
edcortez9 wrote:consider a optima yellow to battery it is meant for music

I have a optima yellow top and I love it. During the day, my voltmeter reads 13.5-14 volts. At night with headlights and other accessories on, it reads 12 volts. No dimming of lights ever.
By ExCoupe94
#175687 battery huh? damn those are spendy. my buddy says to upgrade my alternator anyone done this before? sounds promising and cheaper!
By suspendedHatch
#175749 Alternator. Your battery is fine. Battery is for starting the car and filtering the alternator. THAT'S IT. Doesn't effect your system or anything else once the car's running.

Alternators are generally rated in 20A increments starting at 60 and going to 120.
By country_civic
#175755 normally a 1 farad cap is good to about 1k watts since you said you upd it to 2k you may wanna check out getting at least a 2 farad but id look to a 3 farad cap so you got alil run to play . and upgrading the alternator would be a good idea as well
By DeRail13
#175769 optima yellow top and beef up the big 3. you can bump with the car off kill the battery, jump it and go without harming that battery
By dawg316
#175827 I herd shity things about capacitors. any 1 care to chime in with there thoughts about them ?
By suspendedHatch
#176203 They can work as a band-aid in some situations but they're mostly a gimmick. Very extremely absurdly overpriced.

Proper power wire, grounding, and a capable charging system are the proper fix.
By elrompetoto
#176214 same shit was happening 2 me ur pulling all the power from all ur systems fule spark all that shit get a new battry thats what i did and check ur alanater make sure its working right
By ExCoupe94
#176508 sweet ima upgrade the alt and alt wire and follow up with my results. thanks for all the info! :thumb:
By ExCoupe94
#209982 rockin an everstart from walmart that ive drained completely.. twice but with the 130 amp alternator and 1/0 gauge wire i no longer experience power issues... time to upgrade the subs and get some hids :twisted:
By doubskie
#222392 get a capacitor, thats exactly what those are for.
ive never heard of hp loss but as far lights dimming and all that, capacitor will fix your problem.

what they do is store energy in from the battery so when your amp pushes out more power during certain bursts, it gives it more power so you dont lose power given to other wire connection to the battery.

with a 2000 watt system you should get a farad of 5 or above. pick it up at any audio shop or online somewhere.
itll cost anywhere from about $50 up
By BurqueB16
doubskie wrote:get a capacitor, thats exactly what those are for.
ive never heard of hp loss but as far lights dimming and all that, capacitor will fix your problem.

what they do is store energy in from the battery so when your amp pushes out more power during certain bursts, it gives it more power so you dont lose power given to other wire connection to the battery.

with a 2000 watt system you should get a farad of 5 or above. pick it up at any audio shop or online somewhere.
itll cost anywhere from about $50 up

X 2, Ive had this problem before when i was winto stereo and not speed lol, I had a 1200 watt amp and 3 400 watt 10" subs. i got a capacitor and it fixed my problem.