In Car Entertainment & Security
By cw
#157235 Just bought a 95 civic ex and it has a nice sound system in it. I was playing the cd player and turned the amp and 12 on. I had it on for about 4 or 5 minutes then tried to start my car. It was dead. ? I waited an hour or so and went out to it and it started it right up. Im confused on what the problem is. Can the sound system not be on if the engine is not on, or does the amp and 12 take that much juice to run? I need to know so i dont end up stranding myself some where.. Thanks for your help!!
By 3kkl3sia
#157237 how old is the battery?
most likely unless you get a bigger or new battery amps/subs will drain you shit alot
and if the battery was dead before and no one recharged it, it will be weak resulting in dying fast
By JUICE
#157239 get a new battery, and would be a good idea to get a new alternator also. the "system" will give it a workout also.
By cw
#157247 Im not sure how old it is, but i was thinking about gettin a new one after that anyway. What is the best size?
By edcortez9
#157262 Well im a car audio installer and the amp only drains battery if the car is not started if only the ignition is on.. Unless it is improperly installed...if the car is started the alternator is charging the battery therefore is doesn't drain as much..

Like they were saying you should consider a new battery
By cw
#157264 To ed cortez...
Thanks, but i got one more question

So if i sit in my car with the car off but stereo on it will drain the battery. But if the car is on it will not? Does the key position matter in any of this?
By smokinsoljah420
edcortez9 wrote: amp only drains battery if the car is not started if only the ignition is on.. Unless it is improperly installed...if the car is started the alternator is charging the battery consider a new battery

read what he said. if your car is not running then the alternator is not running which is recharging your battery. Most likely you have a dead cell or two in your battery or your alternator is crapping out. Or both.
By edcortez9
#157273 Yes it does the car has to be started in order to maintain 12 volts or more while you amp is on...if you don't start and leave the stereo or the ignition on will drain your battery down.. The bigger the amp the faster it drains so try not to jam your music with completely starting your car to keep your battery power ok