In Car Entertainment & Security
By jsp891
#144053 Whats up guys, I was just wondering if anybody has tried or has heard of anybody putting an 8 or 10 inch sub in the rear deck. I have searched but no luck. I understand subs need to be enclosed, But I just need to know if anybody has done this or not. Thanks
By JUICE
#144057 i know back in the day they made "open air" subs. it nothin thats gonna bump real hard but they're made to run "enclosureless" lol.

google search "open air" and "free air subwoofer"
By suspendedHatch
#144580 That's not going to be a solid enough mount no matter what. It's going to sound like crap. Open air sub or not.

Custom spare tire sub enclosure FTW.
By JlaudioEGFreak
#145961 Yes it is very hard to get a free air subwoofer setup to sound good. But what you can do is get a subwoofer that is specifically made to work in a free air enviroment. One of my favorites are the JL audio 6w3v3. I have done tons of those in rear decks and doors and those things wang out. I have done most of them in a couple new BMW m5s and A couple new Jaguar xj8 in the rear deck that put down some really good numbers and tuned out real good on the RTA. The other plus to doing those subwoofers is that they will play all the way up to about 1200 HZ so they fill in very good between 100-150 HZ which is usually a very dead spot in your car. Just make sure to mount down very solid, dont use screws use a bolt/nut setup and if its in the budget try to sound dampin as much as you can on that rear deck.
By PandaHatch
#146563 Bullshit. I saw three of these in the back of the JL Audio mustang at my old work.(Crutchfield) and im talking about rear deck. you will need to do some fiberglass work but its not a big deal. make a box across the underside of the deck lid in trunk and what you dont need for airspace use as an amp rack.
By JlaudioEGFreak
#146605 bullshit? what do you base that off of? or are you talking about supendedhatchs response?
By PandaHatch
#146653 Suspended hatches.... should have quoted I didnt even read yours to be honest
By suspendedHatch
#146825 What's bullshit, son? Do you think you know something? Before you call bullshit on somebody you better find out who they are first.

He's not asking about his Mustang.

You NEED to solidly mount the sub. This is true of any speaker. You can not get a solid mount out of the stock rear deck aka "privacy cover" of a hatchback. Period. (This does not change whether it's a free air sub or not.) Feel free to try it and post the result. I always welcome a good laugh.

Even when done "properly" those free air subs sound crappy. You can improve the result a bit by sealing up your trunk... but doing that can cause problems when closing the trunk lid hard.

Best bet is a custom built, well constructed ported enclosure with calculated port dimensions and air space. Glue the box up tight and use fiberglass resin on the inside.
By PandaHatch
suspendedHatch wrote:What's bullshit, son? Do you think you know something? Before you call bullshit on somebody you better find out who they are first.

You NEED to solidly mount the sub. This is true of any speaker. You can not get a solid mount out of the stock rear deck aka "privacy cover" of a hatchback. Period. (This does not change whether it's a free air sub or not.) Feel free to try it and post the result. I always welcome a good laugh.

Son??? Im not going to argue with you take that to honda-tech. He said rear deck as in a coupe (ej) You can solidly mount a sub in a rear deck its called work. The dude said *8 0r 10 inch sub. the approximate depth of a rear deck not a privacy cover. and If you couldn't read I saw 3 subs in a single rear deck. I sat in the car at my old work (Crutchfield) and listened to them. heres some pics know it all. anything can be done if you put your mind do it. like thinking before you speak or in this case type.

look in the reflection of the glass and you can see the three subs.

Here is the custom fiberglass box they built and then hid the ugliness with a beaty plate made from pdf and carpet.

now do you believe it can work...SON :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by PandaHatch on Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
By PandaHatch
#146827 and you went and did some research because I already quoted your original post and you edited it(ur post). seriously just accept that its possible and that your wrong. bye
By JUICE
#146831 wow. that'd be like rolling with a refrigerator in the back... :thumbdown:

btw.. be glad suspended hatch is here sharing his knowledge. can you say honda GURU
By PandaHatch
alldatJUICE wrote:wow. that'd be like rolling with a refrigerator in the back... :thumbdown:

btw.. be glad suspended hatch is here sharing his knowledge. can you say honda GURU

not saying he doesn't know hondas I dont doubt that at all. a single ten inch enclosure made from fiberglass would not be like a refrigerator though. Those were in the back of JL Audios Ford Mustang when they came for training. seriously though its not even worh arguing about...Its definatly posible. Jl has a slim line sub as well as kicker (CVT) and many others so it wouldnt have to be too bulky.
By ExCoupe94
#151977 ive been thinkin about this for some time now, not with a sub but with component woofers. if i was to install a woofer in the rear deck id take out those metal dowels that kinda sorta support the trunk when popped and replace them with an air piston like da hatches. with all that extra room you can fabricate a solid plate out of mdf or fiberglass with enclosures attached "sunk" going into the trunk.