In Car Entertainment & Security
By Civic Servient
#140682 My sub stopped working, and I found a blown fuse at the battery going to the amp. I replaced it and it blew as I plugged it in (30amp). I unhooked the sub from the amp, and replaced the fuse again and it didn't blow. So I figure it's probably the sub, maybe, I think? I don't know a whole lot about speakers, but I went to a site that said to use an ohm meter to test the coils (however it didn't say how). The sub is a 10" JL W3 V2. I placed the ohm meter on each set of conections (seperatly) and one said 2.0ohms and the other said 4ohms. Is that bad? or is there a correct way to test it? The back of the sub says 4ohm dual voice coil. The amp is a rockford fosgate 300w mono amp. So if anyone knows how it should be and can offer any advice on how to properly trouble shoot and how to fix it that would rock! (bad pun!).
By dawg316
#140735 first you should make shure your getting power to the amp. turn your car on ( or ign-II, accesory). take a test light or volt meter. ground one side off then check the lil blue wire on the amp called remote turn on. check if that has voltage, then check the big fat wire, usualy red check if that has 12volts. if it dose see if a light on your amp is on. check the secondary fuses built into the amp.

also when you said you replaced a 30 amp fuse. was it from the main wire goin from the battery to the amp? becuase the original fuse should be somewhere around 100 amp.
By nickplus4
#169524 i use the 9v battery + to +/ -to- it should make sound if not the sub is no good...
By edcortez9
#169594 testing the battery never tells you is the speaker is still good is just lets you know it still sounds.. from what your telling me on the ohms the speker is bad both should have 4 ohm
By nickplus4
#169823 putting the 9v battery to the sub will tell you if its blown or not
By ohDirka
#169829 or if you just pull the sub out of the box you can look to see if the voice coil is blown
By suspendedHatch
#170637 You pull out the speaker wires and put the leads on the multimeter where the wires plug into the sub. If it's a single voice coil, it's pretty simple.

It should be very close to the sub rating (2 or 4 ohms). You should push the speaker by hand and watch the resistance change and come back to the rating, though with no experience, it might not mean much to you.

I can think of no way that a blown sub could trip the power fuse. Most likely your amp is seriously blown internally, or your power wire is grounded. Look at the power wire where it's pinched. Test the wire for continuity to ground.