ECU, Wiring, Sensors
By DJMont
#361328 Hey I just recently purchased my first Civic, so im new to the car and new to the forums. Ive got a 93 sedan in manual.
In short, the previous owner had it wired to auto start with an "Avital" keyfob, and on top of that, he also had the car set up where the car will only run if auto started and then the key is inserted and turned to the start position. If just the key is inserted and turned the car will not start.
At first i thought nothing of it, figuring it to be a good anti theft safety feature, but due to a very weak E-brake I have to leave the car parked in gear, and when auto started in gear it will buck foward like mad. Afraid Im going to forget to take it out of gear before starting one day an have it take off.
One thing i did notice is one of the wires down by the clutch has been cut. There is also an independent set of wires running to a drum shaped metal box that looks out of place.
I havent gotten any serious time to get a good look at what is going on down there but I would really appreciate any help I could get to point me in the right direction. Not really to great when it comes to wiring.
By EconoBox
#361330 Trying to restore OEM functions and maintain that alarm system from a previous owners install is a nightmare. The simplest solution for you is to remove the system completely and restore the car to OEM. Then if you would like an alarm or some kind of anti theft device you can handle it on your own with a new kit that you have directions for.

Also for that weak e-brake search for directions on the cable adjustment, it's as simple as removing the arm rest (or e brake cover) and turning a bolt until the handle is properly set again.

The alarm control box is more than likely installed under the driver's side of the dashboard and tucked up behind the fuse box. It is going to be spliced into your ignition wiring, door lock harness, and since it is remote start the clutch pedal switch so that it can start the car.

You will need a phillips head screw driver a 10mm socket and a long extension. You'll remove the panel that the fuse box door is on and the metal shield behind it (comes off with 2 10mm bolts and a little wiggle. Then you want to look for a control box that looks out of place, they are usually black, stuffed behind the fuse box, held in place with zip ties, and covered with cheesy holographic/shiny stickers on them and a bunch of non-oem color wires.

Then the fun part... remove it. Take it and all of it's corresponding wiring out. Then splice everything OEM that was cut back together and you should be back to OEM function for everything. If you are lucky the kit will use more T-Taps than cut and spliced wires. From how you've described its function I know the clutch wire and some ignition wiring will be cut. If you get lost or need more help feel free to ask. Luckily on the OEM wiring harness, with what you are going to be dealing with, there is only one wire of each color so just find the matching colors and crimp or heatshrink and solder the wiring back together.