ECU, Wiring, Sensors
By Dascity_eg
#353810 hello, so i'm close to going and buying this beautiful honda civic si 93 eg it has a B18 GSR Motor with Edelbrock intake manifold
the only problem it has is the currently has a P28 EcU, idk that much about the honda game just yet but can someone tell me does that ecu just need to be tuned or what?
By iLLson
#353811 p28 is from a single cam vtec obd1

a very popular ecu. people use it because its cheap and it is widely avail

you can have that chipped and tuned at your local tuner
By Dascity_eg
#353812 alright sweet, so just get it tuned and ill be good to go?, that was the only thing i was worried about was if it didn't work with the b18
By EconoBox
#353813 Look into Xenocron.com and Phearable.net both do great work on chipping and base maps. You can just send in your ECU and get it back ready to drive. If you want the car to run better I'd recommend spending the cash on Hondata over using a chrome chip but for budget minded people either one of those sites I listed can get you taken care of.
By FlopUrDonk
#353814 I had a chipped p28 for my jdm b18c but ended up just gettin a p72 as one came up for dirt cheap on craigslist. I agree with EB though. if you have a little cash to spend you can get a s300v3 that will give you so many more options in the long run. Blue tooth compatible now too. :) My p72 is currently getting one wired as we speak. Can't wait.

Good luck. :thumb:
By Dascity_eg
#353816 well the guy is getting it tuned before i buy it right now, it should be done by friday, but it is a street tune.
By EconoBox
#353829 Street tune with a wideband AFR sensor? Or the more common add fuel and timing I just picked up a laptop for the first time and wanna try moving these graphs around tune?

The reason I ask is because a street tune will typically be an experienced tuner using a known safe timing map from another car they have dyno tuned with a similar setup and then mapping fuel while you drive on the street under many different load conditions.

A lot of young guys go to their 'friend' who 'tunes' and he burns a chip with a map he downloaded online adds a ton of fuel, timing, and a 3500 rpm two step and calls it a street tune because there is no check engine light anymore.

Just be careful of what they are doing before you buy it there is a big difference. I do a ton of sidework from home and about 75% of the modified egs that come in have the second option and get upset when I want to charge them to put in a known working ECU before going any further into diagnosing an issue.
By suspendedHatch
#353878 You also have to have circuitry added to the P28 for the intake manifold secondaries aka "butteryfly valves". A lot of people install an aftermarket intake manifold without them but if you go that route, you really should get the car tuned on a dyno. The added benefit to swapping the manifold is that you then have a lot more intake choices but as for me personally, I prefer to keep the original 2 stage manifold.
By Dascity_eg
#354121 it was tuned by a shop called premier performance in salt lake city,