ECU, Wiring, Sensors
By express21
#351120 I noticed that my speedometer isnt functional and yet i dont get cel code for it so im wondering if grounding could be my issue and then i read a couple threads and noticed that the speedo should be grounded on the thermostat housing so i decided to take a look at the area only to see two exposed wires so im asking if both the wires should be grounded there, if not what are they for?

Take a look at the images to see which wires im referring to.

By JUICE
#351126 Speedo is indeed extremely sensitive to the thermostat and transmission grounds. Remove, clean and tightening them back down would be a good start. But.. This could also be an issue with your cluster itself, which would be the next thing to look into.
By express21
JUICE wrote:Speedo is indeed extremely sensitive to the thermostat and transmission grounds. Remove, clean and tightening them back down would be a good start. But.. This could also be an issue with your cluster itself, which would be the next thing to look into.

well i tried a cluster that im sure is working and still nothing.
By JUICE
#351152 what's the inside of the VSS plug from the harness looking like? I had issues with mine from build up of corrosion in the plug itself. Make sure it's not all oily or full of that green electrical corrosion.
By JUICE
#351153 also, I had a VSS give me issues for a long time before it actually tripped the CEL. Once that happened, the car acted all sorts of weird and wouldn't even stay running. I've had good luck with the $20 eBay cheapy units, or go scavange a junk yard cause OEM are ridiculous $$$.
By EconoBox
#351154 Sorry these aren't the biggest diagrams I screenshotted them from work to see if they could help you.

vss by system_bust, on Flickr

vss2 by system_bust, on Flickr

vss3 by system_bust, on Flickr

vss4 by system_bust, on Flickr

Basically you want to be sure the connector is clean and has no grease or corrosion in it (brake clean works great for that). Once you have it hooked up back probe the connector to check that you have 5 volts power and a ground connection. If either of those are bad troubleshoot that lead. If you have power, ground, and clean terminals chances are the speed sensor itself has failed. You can also troubleshoot the VSS signal wire to see what it is outputting (If anything) but that is a little more involved of a process.

I've had this problem on nearly all of my EGs and it usually ends up being CV grease in the connector from a failed inner axle boot.

Good luck. Feel free to PM me or comment here for more help or I can email you the PDF files relating to the VSS.
By express21
EconoBox wrote:Sorry these aren't the biggest diagrams I screenshotted them from work to see if they could help you.

vss by system_bust, on Flickr

vss2 by system_bust, on Flickr

vss3 by system_bust, on Flickr

vss4 by system_bust, on Flickr

Basically you want to be sure the connector is clean and has no grease or corrosion in it (brake clean works great for that). Once you have it hooked up back probe the connector to check that you have 5 volts power and a ground connection. If either of those are bad troubleshoot that lead. If you have power, ground, and clean terminals chances are the speed sensor itself has failed. You can also troubleshoot the VSS signal wire to see what it is outputting (If anything) but that is a little more involved of a process.

I've had this problem on nearly all of my EGs and it usually ends up being CV grease in the connector from a failed inner axle boot.

Good luck. Feel free to PM me or comment here for more help or I can email you the PDF files relating to the VSS.

i do have a busted cv boot on my right from wheel so im gonna do some checks and post updates, thanks for the help :D
By express21
#351943 okay so i washed my engine yesterday and now my speedometer has started to work but i feel it will stop soon anyone has any advice ???
this is driving me nuts!!